City Water and Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskinner10

Reaction score
Will using unfiltered city water for mixing star san cause off flavors in my beers typical of chlorinated water? FYI I'm using distilled water and building my water profiles for the actual beers. Just wondering if I can use the city water from the tap for my star san.

Thanks

I've done it that way for years with no ill effects or noticeable off flavors. That said, we have fairly hard water here and it causes star-san to cloud rather quickly. I store the solution in a covered bucket and typically have to sweeten with a little more star-san every 10 days or so to keep the pH below 3.

Instead of starting my own thread, has anyone used water from a garden hose to mix with the star san? If it matters, the hose itself is not rubber. Its one of those weird wormy expandable and I notice the smell of water from that hose as opposed to my standard garden hose is less off.

Just trying to find a way to fill 3 5-gallon buckets quicker. My kitchen sprayer has some pressure issue that I haven't figured out how to fix yet.

Back