Citric Acid - who is using it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
I am looking into acids for water building and like what I see see so far with citric acid.

In fact, I acquired some and tested against the Bru'n water spread sheet to see how well it did relative to predicted performance. Seemed to be spot on.

I did tests at 4 gallons as that is close to my typical sparge value.

Ran four tests at different levels (12.5g, 10g, 7.5g, 5.0g, and 2.5g) and each time came up within .06ph of target. Considering the variability in precisely how much water, the accuracy of the scale that only goes down to .1g, the accuracy of a ph meter , and all that good stuff, I consider it a fantastic success.

Now for the important stuff - anyone use it for brewing? I will give it a go in pales and IPA's - but wonder if anyone out there in brewing-land has any experiences to share

The only serious issue I'm aware of is that citric acid has a relatively low flavor threshold, and you may taste it.

I acidified wine with it, and I can taste it. I will never use it again.

The only issue I'm aware of is that citric acid has a relatively low flavor threshold, and you may taste it.

A little of what I am going for. Citrus Pales and IPA's are the target. Probably not so much in a stout....

total used for acidifying the sparge water was 2.4 g to get my water to 5.8ph. For me, it was only barely evident with nothing else in the water

Not sure what that means?

How does that affect the mash?

For example if you use citric acid for fermentation of some fruits for spirit the mash pH can increase again. Lactic is more stable. I never used them for beer mash but in fruit fermentation

For example if you use citric acid for fermentation of some fruits for spirit the mash pH can increase again. Lactic is more stable. I never used them for beer mash but in fruit fermentation

OK - interesting. I have not thought about during fermentation at all. Just the mash. This bears invenstigation

Latest posts

Back