Citric Acid Water treatment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's sort of moot as the goal of water treatment usually emphases removal of alkalinity. Many feel that there should be at least 50 mg/L present (125 ppm as CaCO3) though many excellent beers are made with less than half that. Citric acid does neutralize alkalinity (it is an acid) and there was a time when many home brewing recipes called for a tsp of it. The fact that it also chelates calcium might be advantageous in some cases and not in others. The other question I would have would be as to the fate of the chelate. It is somewhat soluble 800 mg/L which, with it's molar mass of about 500 implies 1.6 mmol and thus about an equal amount of calcium (64 mg/L) would stay in solution. It does have a sour salty taste which is why I don't think it is used in brewing much.

As for the particular product in question: it apparently does slow release of citric acid into the stream. Assuming that the release rate is slow enough to keep the water from tasting salty/sour I can't think that it would be terribly effective against very hard water. But of course I have no experience with this particular filter.

It is hard to imagine that it would be worse than a traditional salt softener from the brewing perspective. If, however, an RO system is in use or under consideration a traditional sodium based softener would be much better.

Back