Citra SMaSh - Thoughts on yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPhad

Reaction score
I found something similar posted and wanted to try it.
Never done a SMaSH before
Just looking for any feedback, esp regarding selection of yeast.
Was looking to get some character out of yeast that might blend with the Citra, but really don't know where to start.

Thanks

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.19 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.77 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 46.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 18.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 3 14.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 9.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 7 -
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

I have a Citra wheat pale ale. Us-05 or another clean American ale yeast works great

I have a Citra wheat pale ale. Us-05 or another clean American ale yeast works great

I was thinking US05 too, it is easy to use.
Just wasn't sure if maybe I might get a little different character, but I'll probably go with the 05.

thanks

The purpose of a SMASH recipe is to highlight the grains and hops so you can really start to learn what they bring to the table. Therefore, a clean yeast like US-05 or WLP001 is generally the way to go as they ferment clean.

If that's not what you're looking for, simply ignore this post.
Nothing to see here....

WY1272 is also a great option. Flocculates really well with a bit more ester character than WLP001/WY1056 - works great with the citrus hops.

The purpose of a SMASH recipe is to highlight the grains and hops so you can really start to learn what they bring to the table. Therefore, a clean yeast like US-05 or WLP001 is generally the way to go as they ferment clean.

If that's not what you're looking for, simply ignore this post.
Nothing to see here....

Agreed - WLP001 is a great clean yeast with high attenuation. I always use it when I want the yeast to mostly stay out of the way while still giving a solid fermentation.

I just kegged a Citra IPA that I fermented with US-05. Turned out absolutely amazing! I agree that a clean yeast would be the best choice for a smash recipe.

brew2enjoy said:
I just kegged a Citra IPA that I fermented with US-05. Turned out absolutely amazing! I agree that a clean yeast would be the best choice for a smash recipe.

Recipe?

Have you thought about wyeast 1056? I think that could be another good option to think about.

Squirrels said:
Have you thought about wyeast 1056? I think that could be another good option to think about.

Yes has anyone used both us05 and 1056 and have you seen any difference in final taste? Ive heard they have the same ancestors. If they end up the same I don't see benefit in 1056 except it's fun to make a starter.

theyre pretty much the same if not exactly the same. Use the dry yeast for cost and ease of use. with your OG, 1 or 1.5 packets should be fine. Cheap and easy.

chumpsteak said:
theyre pretty much the same if not exactly the same. Use the dry yeast for cost and ease of use. with your OG, 1 or 1.5 packets should be fine. Cheap and easy.

Great thanks!

Here it is at 30 hours. Went with the 1056 since I had not used it yet
Smell is awesome

image-1103413399.jpg

Back