Citra/Mosaic IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granpooba19

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired 1 pound each of citra, simcoe, mosaic, and amarillo. I've cobbled together a recipe from various others that I've looked at but would appreciate any input to make sure it turns out! Thanks.

10 gallon batch:
20# 2-row
2# flaked oat
1# cara-pils
1# Crystal 60

Hop schedule:
1.5 - 2 oz of Magnum or Warrior? Not really sure here 60minutes
1 oz citra for 15
1 oz citra for 10
4 oz Mosaic for 10
2 oz mosaic for 5
2 oz citra for 5
2 oz each of simcoe, citra, and mosaic to steep @ ~180 degrees.

Then I'll dry hop with 2 oz each probably of citra, simcoe, and mosaic.
Do I even need the 60 minute charge of warrior or magnum? If yes, can I change it to one of the other three hops listed?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks. I'm going for some sort of east coast/new england/milkshake whatever you want to call it IPA.

Looks good to me but I might skip that 10 min addition and just split the 4 oz up into the 5 min and hop stands.

I like warrior as a bittering hop, I would use it, but other's may not

"

Do I even need the 60 minute charge of warrior or magnum? If yes, can I change it to one of the other three hops listed?
"

Plug in your Hops into a IBU calculator. If you don't have enough IBUs in your opinion, then use however much warrior or magnum you need to get there.
Magnum is the best bittering hop IMO. It is clean and high AA. I always get my IBU where I want it with it, and then do my taste and aroma hops after that.
But really, any high AA hop can be used for bittering.

I'm wondering about the 2 pounds of flaked oats... are you trying to get a haze for the "heady topper" look ?

To answer your question, yes, i'd still bitter it with a 60 minute addition .
What are you planning for yeast ?

I pretty much do IPAs with just a 60 minute addition and then a huge hop steep after the boil. If you wanted to simplify your late additions you could go that route, maybe doing a 180 degree steep and a second 140 degree steep. But what you have looks fine.

You could bitter with any of the hops you have, although I like Simcoe best for that (I use that as my standard bittering hop, in fact).

id drop the crystal, everything else looks great. maybe some simcoe in the boil too, to get some of those piney/dank IBUs. the simcoe in the WP addition should be good enough if not. id keep the 60 minute addition. i like apollo or columbus for that. more dankness.
as you can tell, i like the dank hops with the citra/mosaic combo alot :)

Back