Citra IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallsc111

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a quick question about citra hops. I really like the citrus flavor that this hops brings to the party so I want to put a little in to my Runiation IPA clone recipe. Any thoughts on where to add them? I was afraid with the high AA content that I would have to put them in early in the boil. Is this true or is it better suited for dry hopping?

Thanks guys!

MC

Citra is good anywhere in a recipe. High alpha so good for bittering. Fantastic flavor/aroma so also great for late additions and dryhopping. I make an all citra pale ale that's hard to keep on tap. So freaking delicious!

I actually often see people advise against using Citra for bittering. I feel that it's silly to use it for bittering because you can get a cheaper and more common high alpha hop to do that job while saving all your citra for later in the boil to get the flavor and aroma it is praised for. Yes, it works excellently as a dry hop.

Please don't bitter with Citra, it's a waste. Late additions, flame out and DH are the best. On another note, I don't know where you're getting citrus flavors from. It doesn't taste remotely citrusy imo. More like tropical and stone fruit

Cool guys thanks for the input, I feel like I get a grapefruit taste because the first beer I tasted with citra was Widmer brothers Shaddock IPA with grapefruit peels in it, now I just associate it with grapefruit.

Cascade hops have an awesome grapefruit citrus taste. I'd recommend them for bittering and Citra/simcoe for aroma.

I've used citra in all parts of the boil, but my favorite is at 20, KO, and dry hop. The only problem with DH with Citra is that intense tropical aroma fades quickly. Cheers.

I agree on several points here, no need to use the higher end aroma/flavor hops for primary bittering agent, Magnum or Nugget works great for that. Citra does not have much of a citrus/grapefruit flavor, mostly tropical flavor. I'm not much on Cascade for citrus but I do love Amarillo for the grapefruit flavor it imparts, if you have tried Tank 7 from Boulevard it is the strong grapefruit flavor in it.

I made a all Citra, "almost" continuously hopped IPA. I am 10 days into dry hopping (2.75 oz / 5 gallons) and it already taste and smell delicious. I would say, pineapple, mango, passion fruit up first, then citrusy grapefruit notes.

Can't wait to try it carbonated and cold, 3 weeks to go !

photo.jpg

Latest posts

Back