Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvanek29

Reaction score
Just created this all grain recipe for a Citra IPA. Need some feed back.

5 Gallon Batch

Grain Bill:
11 lbs Pale 2 Row
.5 lb Munich
.5 lb Crystal 20

Hops:
1.50 oz. Warrior 60 min.
1.00 oz. Citra 15 min.
1.00 oz. Citra 10 min.
1.00 oz. Citra 0 min.
1.50 oz. Citra Dry Hop in secondary

Adjuncts:
Whirlfloc 15 min.

Yeast:
White Labs California Ale WLP001

Fermentation:
Initial 5 days
Secondary 9 days

OG 1.060
FG 1.016
ABV 6.0
IBU 1.652

Why not use Citra as the first hop addition as well? It is high in AAs, it could be a true (all-)Citra IPA beer.

I was just reading about how lots of citra can kinda take over and the flavor can change. I read it on the internet so it must be true. I will tell you when I brew with my favorite hop simcoe, I need to mix in other hops to smooth out the simcoe. IMHO

I like the recipe, I would go with a little more munich though.

I think 0.5 of Munich is good, I personally use 1# in my 10g batches and it has a great subtle addition that blends nicely with the hop heavy beer.

Also, crystal 20? I would go with a crystal 60, 20 is going to be really light. I made the mistake of using 20 in a Centennial IPA and it was light and pretty useless.

The hop schedule is my personal favorite and I do all my IPA/APAs with that timing.

Looks good! I made an all-Citra batch a while ago and it was pretty cool to watch the hop flavor change over two months. It was like a new beer every two weeks or so, and it was awesome every step of the way. Cheers!

Thank you all for the input. I think I will be switching to the crystal 60.

Latest posts

Back