Cinnamon in a sasion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
I understand this is brewing and I can do whatever I want. I just need an opinion from someone that had been brewing longer than I. What do you think of putting a cinnamon stick in the secondary of a sasion for the summer? I would soak the cinnamon stick in a little everclear. I would possibly put a half oz of orange and lemon peel each. I'm brewing this as a wedding gift for some friends and don't want to mess this up.

Thanks yo.

I experimented once by adding 1/2teaspoon of cinnamon to a 5 gallon batch. The cinnamon flavor was so strong that it ruined the beer. We drank it but didn't enjoy it at all.

The easiest way to mess up a beer is to mess with it. However, part of the fun of homebrewing is experimenting. If you want to try the cinnamon and citrus flavors in beer, you might try adding them to a small sample to see if you like it, and at what ratio. You could buy a nips from the liquor store of cinnamon schnapps and Tripple Sec to make the additions easier and more repeatable.

OK cool. Thanks. You guys talked me off the ledge. Dinner this is for a friend getting married in not going to me with it. Since they are getting married in the summer I think I will add a decent amount of citrus.

I definitely associate cinnamon more with winter ales, or at least darker ones. Blue Moon has a newer beer called Horchata which appears to be light colored and cinnamon-y. I haven't had it though, and I don't know if BM is your best lodestar.

It has a definite cinnamon flavor + aroma. If a saison, I'd go no more than 1 stick for 5-gallon.

MC

Agree with this. I did a blonde with cinnamon and did 4 small sticks about 3 inches a piece and it was overwhelming. Wouldn't have been as bad if it was a saison but in a blonde it was too much.

Have fun with experimenting. I really liked using a blonde recipe to experiment with. It is such a basic beer that any additions really give you an idea of what it would be like in other beers.

Yuk ...... but I don't like Cinnamon or spiced Holiday beers.

If you are going t experiment, do it on beer you keep for yourself, not beer you plan to give to someone.

Adding spices to Belgians and Saisons is not really necessary, as the yeast shoudl provide plenty of flavors. If you do add spices, they should be subtle, and not noticeable.

I love cinnamon and Saison is my favorite beer style, but not sure how well they would go together. I could see a very light cinnamon flavor maybe being good. I would go light and then add more in the secondary if you need it.

I like to make beers with different ingredients, so I say go for it if you think you can make it. I would just start out light.

Since this is for a friend just going to stick with a solid saison recipie.

Back