Cider won't clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeBreton

Reaction score
Cloudy cider really doesn't bother me but I'm trying for a more professional look to my beverages.

This batch started as 2.5 gallons cider from an orchard, I added the correct amount of pectic enzyme. let stand for 24 hrs and had 1inch plus of sediment, didn't rack off this though and just added 2.25 gallons store bought juice, 2 cans AJC to bring up SG and pitched in a Saflager S-23 yeast.

Next morning I had 1.5 in of sediment which remained pretty constant. Cider remained cloudy. After 10 days I racked off the old sediment and onto 1 tsp. pectic enzyme and 1 tsp bentonite. Next morning I had another inch of sediment at the bottom but the cider is still cloudy but slightly lighter. This has remained constant for a few days now. I'm bottling this batch is about a week and am running out of time!

What's going on here? Why is this cider still cloudy?

If I understand you correctly, you pitched your yeast about two weeks ago. If so, that's why your cider is cloudy.

Patience!

I'm not looking to ferment completely dry so having it sit in secondary for 3 months isn't really an option.

How can I get a semi-dry sparkling cider to also be clearish?

What about adding pectic enzyme to the juice, racking, then fermenting?

I believe you want to have the pectic enzyme in as soon as possible and let it work. You may have to wait and back sweeten with some unfermentable sugar.

pectic enzyme doesn't help get yeast out of suspension. unless it does, but i don't think it does. mine clear in the same amount of time with or without pectic enzyme, and that is usually 2ish months. why don't you cold crash it indeed

Latest posts

Back