Cider Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SemperFermentis

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm usually a beer maker, but I do enjoy cider and tried a go at it except I was a little inebriated so my process was a little less than stellar. Bottom line up front:
I forgot to take an OG and I'm looking for a way to estimate this.

I have beersmith, and the recommendations are that I can add a custom grain that will approximate apple juice. I know that there were 28 grams of sugar per serving, and 16 servings per container. This comes pretty close to a pound of sugar per gallon.

I have found details for the table sugar that I added, so that's pretty simple, but I think I'm over-thinking the calculations. The recipe is as follows:

6 gallons of apple juice with the aforementioned sugar content (roughly 6 pounds total)
6 pounds of sugar.

I used a starter of Nottingham to ferment, and it's been going for about 2.5 weeks at 60F, ramping up to 65 for the last couple days to finish. I took a gravity reading today and it read 1.040, which was surprising however my calculations were coming around an ABV of approximately 7%. Some sources say 7% is about it, some sources have had success of upwards of 9.5%, but this was with beer.

Can someone help me cut through these weeds and get a rough estimate of starting gravity? I'm totally fine with the product, even if it's a stuck fermentation, I've got my mother in law coming in tomorrow and I don't know what to tell her bout the ABV, which for whatever reason is somehow of crucial importance.

I'm actually in the same predicament so if you could post your finding I'd find it useful.

I think around 15% brick if dry down to 1.00. That is a alot of sugar to eat through.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm actually in the same predicament so if you could post your finding I'd find it useful.

What I found was 45 points per pound, per gallon of basic table sugar. I am working under the assumption that this is similar, if not the same as the sugar in the apple juice. If this is incorrect, please don't shoot the messenger. ;)

http://hbd.org/uchima/tech/extract.html

So the way that I worked it, and the only way that I could, was to look at the sugar content of the cider that I purchased, add that weight amount to the sugar added, multiply it by 45 and divide by total volume of cider fermented. I came out at 84 points. Seeing as my final gravity is 1.040, this leaves me at 5.7%. I'm assuming that this isn't totally spot on, so clearly next time I'll measure. I'm also assuming that I have a stuck fermentation, since I have seen numerous postings of better attenuation with Nottingham almost every time I turn around.

I'm kegging it, force carbing it, and chilling it. Should be game set and match, and now I have a sweet cider that will keep my MIL chill the entire time that she's here.:rockin:

Grams of sugar are grams of sugar when ready the charts on store bought cider or juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hello Semperfermentis (safe to assume you are a Marine with that handle?). I am in Stafford and have just started my first batch of cider, the posts that you and others make have been very helpful to me. thanks

Back