Cider--adjuvant apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smh

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm planning on starting another cider this weekend. I'm pretty simple, so would just be looking at taking standard cider up to about 1.060 with brown sugar. I have safale S-04 yeast to use.

I'm considering adding some apples to the standard issue cider at my local orchard. I don't really know what they have, but what would be good choices for something that's a little more tart to round out flavours? I'm hoping that I can get some crab apples, but if not are there other options?

I also do not have a press. How should I go about getting the juice out? I'm only making 10L, so probably don't need a ton..I hope.

S

I've read that quince are very dry fruit. The little juice that they add may increase the tannin levels.

I'm really just interested in adding apples, just wondering if there are certain varieties that could improve on the standard cider (it's a mixed bag of apples depending on what they have).

I've read that crabapples (up to 30%) add nicely to the flavor. I'm still fermenting my first batch, so I can't offer any firsthand knowledge.

I personally like Jonathan apples. They're tart enough that they dont make you do the Granny Smith face, but tasty enough with some astringency to make your tastebuds stand on end briefly. They also yielded a good amount of juice per pound for me this year.

Back