Chunky Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else ever seen this. I get it quite often. Could it be because I live in a small town with slow beer distribution?

That's just yeast and sediment that I settled out from a beer that probably sat on the shelf for quite a while
As far as I know none of the breweries here in Nashville have a proper filtration setup so that's going to be a common by-product

That's just yeast and sediment that I settled out from a beer that probably sat on the shelf for quite a while
As far as I know none of the breweries here in Nashville have a proper filtration setup so that's going to be a common by-product

So it's ok to drink like that?

Yeah. It's just yeast. If it were bad, it would've​ probably exploded by now.
Like you said, small town and slow distributors both mean a lot of beer sitting idle for a while. That'll cause the yeast to compact, not unlike Homebrew. Then on the ride home it gets disrupted, but not enough to fully break apart.

I've had many a bottle from Lost Coast Brewing that had the exact same appearance. I've stopped purchasing their beers because of it. IMHO no professional brewery should have that much yeast sediment in their beers.

Back