Chugger Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omayhemo

Reaction score
Fellow Brewsters,

ChuggerPumps.com

Background
I'm a fairly new Home Brewer and have been building out my brew sculpture over the course of the last month and a half or so. I've done one extract brew and two all grain brews.

Intro
I'm a pretty thorough guy. So when it came time to buy a pump I asked Mr Google about it, which lead me to these forums, to which I had already subscribed.
What I found was a fellow brewer who had a Chugger Pump, which he bought second hand, that was giving him trouble. As I read on I was impressed to find Mike from Chugger Pumps pop into the thread, unsolicited, and ask the poster to contact him.

Long story, not quite as long...
I was impressed enough by the service I didn't hesitate to buy a pump.

Chugger Pumps Experience
I encountered a similar problem. I contacted Chugger Pumps and received an immediate reply. They are sending out another pump, with a return label inside. Great service.
I don't have any other point of reference, so I can't speak to the quality of the pump other than the first one I bought didn't work. Although I'm disappointed the pump quit on me, a small percentage of problems are unavoidable in the manufacturing process.

I'm most impressed with the incredible service Chugger Pumps offers.

Conclusion
They care! I highly recommend you buy with confidence from this company.

Update

Second pump arrive, installed and ran a test at boiling temperatures. During the test, I restricted outflow for a sparging simulation and ran the pump enclosed in a pump box. It overheated. If you intend to install this pump in a pump box, make sure it's well ventilated, which makes sense but does defeat the whole splash resistant pump box idea a bit.

I also brewed a partial mash and pumped the hot wort through the chiller with it, with zero problems.

Most of you probably already know this, but pumping while boiling is difficult, due to the bubbles causing cavitation. I really didn't expect that.

The guys at Chugger Pumps are awesome. Their computers were down but they hooked me up with a stainless steel replacement head for my March 809 pump. I'd previously bought their stainless beer pump which was a better price than the March AND had a stainless head instead of polysulphone and also included a mounting bracket and power cord which the March did not. Can't say enough good things about Chugger...

You don't often hear a story like this. I bought a Chugger pump a while ago - maybe 9 months, but I don't even know. I was pretty new to brewing, and totally new to pumps. Anyway, I burned it out. I let it go, sadly chalking it up to my inexperience until last month when I wrote them asking if I could get a replacement motor, since I figured the SS head should still be good. They asked why I wanted a replacement motor and I told them the story - and they sent me a new one, free. Unasked.

That's just above and beyond the norm, and I can't speak highly enough of a company that takes that kind of interest in making sure it has happy customers. Any future pump purchases from me are going to Chugger. And no, I have no affiliation with them, other than being a very happy customer.

EDIT: The new pump works flawlessly.

I had a less than stellar interaction with chugger. They shipped a cancelled pump order to me, and when I returned the pumps on their UPS account number, I was then billed (with late fees) months later by UPS for the shipment. Apparently chugger refused the return shipping charges after receipt of the pumps.

---

I have edited this post from it's original content to ensure that I am stating only the facts with no accusations.

I have to say that I am very impressed with Chugger Pumps customer service!

I went to order a new pump and head on New Years Eve. I was trying to use the HBT code for 10% off, but it wasn't working. I e-mailed them and told them what was going on. I expected an email back maybe Wednesday the 2nd or even next Monday (who knows, maybe they shut down for the week). To my surprise I received an email back Monday night!! yes, New Years Eve!

They gave me a code to use and told me it would be good until the 2nd. I ended up ordering and I got the shipping confirmation early on Wednesday. Just received the pump and head today.

I must say, I am thoroughly impressed with the service I received from Chugger Pumps. That is top notch in my book. I really look forward to using thier products in my new build.

A+ for Chugger! :mug:

This is related to the issue I had here...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/chugger-pump-ticking-clicking-506853/

I've Edited my review on Chugger Pumps due to the fact that I was contacted concerning my experience.

They have stated they are resolving the issue and that due to a manufacturers defect will be replacing my pump.

I'll give them an: "A" for taking care of me even after the situation.

Back