Chugger Pump Ticking/Clicking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kumachan

Reaction score
Okay boys and girls. I've had a progressing problem with a pump that I purchased from an online retailer. I've had it now going on 7 months and only used it for vorlaufing 6 batches of beer for about 10 minutes each batch.

Once I had received the pump I had used 3-1 machine oil and added 3 drops down the oil port. Since I've been using it I've been hearing little ticks or clicks that had come and gone. But now it is constant and rarely goes away. I've also added a couple more drops of oil to see if it just needed some more and nothing has changed with the pumps sound.

I've contacted Danny at Chugger pump and he said to check to make sure the fan blades weren't hitting the housing. They weren't. But if you manually rotate the magnet I hear a minor grinding noise. I relayed this to Danny and he stated I need to go through the company I purchased the pump through. I've emailed and have not gotten a response from them. Their website does state they only do returns up to 30 days.

So first I'm an unhappy owner of a Chugger pump since I feel like I've got a practicly mint condition pump and I'm getting a run-around from Chugger.

Secondly is there anything that I can do to the pump itself? I mean... damn the warranty if I have to open it to replace the bearing myself (since it appears Chugger won't honor it). But has anyone done this?

Here's the video of the tick/click/chatter: http://youtu.be/xTcLdms3AA8

I have an issue with my chugger as well, Chugger asked for a diagram of my setup. Sent a PDF with pictures, all the various lengths of tubing for each set up etc. Never heard a work back. I had heard that they had less than stellar customer service. Lesson learned Gonna sell the pos on ebay or craigs list and get me another March pump....Now, anytime I see someone asking for info on a chugger I tell them mine is a pos. Some seem to be excellent, but not the one they shipped me....

That does sound like it's the back of the motor.

Not sure why you felt the need to oil a brand new pump, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

One thing that you can do to verify that it is the back area of the pump is to completely remove the front plastic housing that houses the magnet. It is possible that the magnet is rubbing against the housing and might be the cause of your noise.

I have an issue with my Chugger as well, Chugger asked for a diagram of my setup. Sent a PDF with pictures, all the various lengths of tubing for each set up etc. Never heard a work back. I had heard that they had less than stellar customer service. Lesson learned Gonna sell the pos on ebay or craigs list and get me another March pump....Now, anytime I see someone asking for info on a Chugger I tell them mine is a pos. Some seem to be excellent, but not the one they shipped me....

Yea, I know both March and Chugger have had their issues. But, you'd think that there would be more of a concern on fixing this sort of issue. It's clearly mechanical.
I just want to know if its feasible or worth my time trying to fix this myself.

I too hope to warn people that before you buy from Chugger that you are aware that customer service is last on their list. Perhaps avoid it if at all possible.

One thing that you can do to verify that it is the back area of the pump is to completely remove the front plastic housing that houses the magnet. It is possible that the magnet is rubbing against the housing and might be the cause of your noise.

Yes, I separated the plastic shroud away from the magnet and plugged it in. Same sound. It is in the back of the pump and the shaft doesn't slide in or out. Just rotating the magnet I can faintly hear a minor "rub" for every rotation. But, its not coming from the fan blades.

Yes, I separated the plastic shroud away from the magnet and plugged it in. Same sound. It is in the back of the pump and the shaft doesn't slide in or out. Just rotating the magnet I can faintly hear a minor "rub" for every rotation. But, its not coming from the fan blades.

Is there an easy way to remove the metal rear housing?

We pride ourselves in personally helping our customers through our distributors and us directly. Please feel free to contact me directly at 732-835-4036...I will replace your pump if it is a Mfg Defect. We do appreciate all the business from Homebrewers Worldwide with Chugger Pumps and I am personally here to help anyone at anytime. Above is my direct line and my direct email is [email protected]

Thanks again for all the support!!!!

:mug:

Cheers to Mike at Chugger Pumps!

I'm glad to see that customer service is alive and well. Thank you for your attention to my issue!

Back