Chugger Pump Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbauer013

Reaction score
So I've been slowly building an electric indoor system and got it running last week. When I say slowly, it has been a few years in the making. My problem is I bought a Chugger in May 2013 andso it is well out of warranty despite the fact that I just ran it for the first time two weeks ago. Here is my problem, any help on a solution would be great:

I have the center inlet SS head chugger and it is hooked up using all 1/2in ID silicon hose and 1/2 ID fittings. Everything worked great on my test run, pumped increasing temp water no problem for an hour. The next time I went to turn it on there was a rythmic grinding noise, not cavitation I've heard that in my friends pumps so I know what it sounds like. So I take the pump head off, no noticeable issue there, I open the pump head, no issue there. Very wierd. I put it back together and try to replicate the problem. The only issue now is it doesn't even spin. I hear the motor energize, but no go.

Off comes the pump head again. Try to turn it on, the magnet doesn't move until I give it a little tap then it spins. Wierd right?

So I figure it needs lubrication since it has been two years since I bought the darn thing. I put four drops in, hook everything back up and let it sit over night. The next day I test it and it seems to be running properly for about a half hour.
Brew day begins, 20 mins into heat up and the darn pump stops cold, no movement at all, there was no cavitation or anything. I say screw it, and went to the store and bought another pump.

Any ideas folks? I'd hate to think I have a $150 paperweight. The other pump works like a champ and if I can get this one going I'd be able to fly sparge, but no one sells new motors just new heads. Any help would be greatly appreciated Hopefully Chugger still monitors these forums too.

Does the magnet spin freely with the pump head off and no power? It could be that the case is slightly tweaked so under torque load it binds and doesn't like to turn.

Latest posts

Back