Christmas Traitor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaisetti

Reaction score
Every year, my family holds a beer tasting event at Christmas. Each family contributes a growler or two into the competition and the winner gets a nice new growler and the loser gets a 40 of crappy domestic swill. This year, I submitted a growler of my holiday ale and chocolate porter. I was proud and confident of my homebrew. Unbeknownst to me, my wife brought a growler of my very green India Red Ale for the competition. Upon tasting, I ripped it to shreds. I compared it to the other commercial beers. I'm not mad that she brought it because it's was pretty funny that she set me up but I'm kinda disappointed that I was heavily critical of my own beer considering it wasn't conditioned yet. Should I consider divorce? [emoji1]

Nope, no divorce, your wife sounds like a keeper to me, she was getting in on the fun of the situation. It does sound pretty funny that your own beer got a poor review, from you!
So instead of blaming her, figure out where you went wrong with your own beer. Will it really improve with "conditioning"? If so, its all good, maybe lock up all your beer that's not ready for prime time next Christmas. :mug:

... Should I consider divorce? [emoji1]

No, I hate to say this but she's obviously far more sneaky than you. You'd better keep that one close and hope to use her evil genius for your own benefit.

Besides, if you divorce her she'll get half your beer. Probably get alchomony too, you'll have to give her a keg of beer every month.

Nope!! Keep her. My wife is my meter for when I should start drinking a beer. I'll pull samples and be like "It tastes good hon, have a taste" and she'll say " It's not ready yet"

She's a keeper for certain.

Ok, you tore yourself a new one on your own beer. It's a humbling experience for certain but you'll live.
Now, you need to check yourself to see if you gave bad marks because your beer was bad or you wanted to win that badly.
If the beer was bad brew a better batch. If the beer is just green then have your critique next to you as you taste the proper aged version.
If you just wanted to win, well you know what that means.

Back