Chocolate shmocolate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
You don't need to use real chocolate to make a chocolate stout. With the proper balance of chocolate malt and other malts, you can achieve a nice chocolate flavor and aroma in a stout!

Thanks for listening!

That is all...

I agree. I've had chocolate notes in many of my stouts from just chocolate malt. Real chocolate certainly helps, but I agree it's not necessary.

Hill Farmstead Everett Porter is amazing! No real chocolate, all malt, Insane Chocolate Flavor! I will brew something as incredible... one day.

Last night I was drinking a milk stout I brewed, and I kept noticing that it tasted very much like chocolate. Though, there was no chocolate in that batch. This is the first stout I've made where it was so noticeable. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the balance of the dark grain in my grain bill, but it might also have to do with the fact I added all dark grain to the MLT at the end of the mash.

Back