Chocolate, Raspberry, Vanilla in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo_leon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just brewed a Double Chocolate Stout from AHS. I plan to add ~5 lbs of raspberries in secondary. I plan to let the brew sit in primary fermentation for ~2 weeks, then transfer to secondary for another ~2-3 weeks before bottling.

I was wondering if I should add some extra chocolate in secondary, because I don't want the raspberry to overpower the chocolate flavor of the beer.

Re: raspberries- which is better: frozen or fresh?

Also curious if should I add a few tablespoons of vanilla extract- I figure it would smooth out the taste and add another layer of flavor to the beer?

This is my first time adding something to secondary, and I am in the mood to experiment. Or am I crazy for adding too much stuff in secondary? lol

IMO I would add the chocolate if you want the chocolate up front. As for the Berries I always use frozen and just toss them in the secondary frozen. As for the vanilla extract I would skip it. I've tried vanilla extract 3 times even used 1/2 a bottle once and never got any flavor. If you want vanilla use the real thing.

IMO I would add the chocolate if you want the chocolate up front. As for the Berries I always use frozen and just toss them in the secondary frozen. As for the vanilla extract I would skip it. I've tried vanilla extract 3 times even used 1/2 a bottle once and never got any flavor. If you want vanilla use the real thing.

If I use the real thing for vanilla, how many beans should I put in secondary? Am thinking 3 beans soaked in bourbon for 2 weeks will give the beer a nice touch of vanilla that should balance well between the chocolate and raspberry.

I've only used vodka to soak and 3 beans should be enough. Bourbon should do the trick as well.

I've only used vodka to soak and 3 beans should be enough. Bourbon should do the trick as well.

awesome- can't wait to try this beer out. hope it ferments well.

will add 1 oz of dark unsweetened cocoa, ~5 lbs of raspberries, and 3 vanilla beans soaked in bourbon. should be tasty!

It sounds really good. I've never done a stout with fruit so I have to put that in my to do list.

Just as an FYI from my experiences with using fruit.... either leave more than enough room in your fermentation bucket/carboy if you are using an airlock or use a blow off tube. I did a chocolate strawberry porter with just an airlock in a carboy and it exploded. Fermentation is very vigorous from adding fruit.

Made for a very fun cleanup :)

Just as an FYI from my experiences with using fruit.... either leave more than enough room in your fermentation bucket/carboy if you are using an airlock or use a blow off tube. I did a chocolate strawberry porter with just an airlock in a carboy and it exploded. Fermentation is very vigorous from adding fruit.

Made for a very fun cleanup :)

how much headspace should i give the beer? i am transferring to secondary so i might lose some beer in the trub.

milo_leon said:
how much headspace should i give the beer? i am transferring to secondary so i might lose some beer in the trub.

You have to account for displacement. I used 2 pounds of strawberries which was a lot. I would almost recommend using a bucket, unless you have a 6gal Carboy. Give it at least 6" in a Carboy.

Latest posts

Back