Chocolate Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loudawg7777

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get your guys opinion on a recipe I'm going to try:

6lbs amber extract
1lb caramel malt
1lb chocolate malt
2lbs honey
2oz cascade hops
White labs California ale yeast

This is my first recipe I've devised myself so I wanted to try to get some input. Going for a pretty strong ale with a chocolate overtone...

Might add cherries during secondary to give it that cordial cherry flavor... Am I on the right track?

Loudawg7777 said:
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get your guys opinion on a recipe I'm going to try: 6lbs amber extract 1lb caramel malt 1lb chocolate malt 2lbs honey 2oz cascade hops White labs California ale yeast This is my first recipe I've devised myself so I wanted to try to get some input. Going for a pretty strong ale with a chocolate overtone... Might add cherries during secondary to give it that cordial cherry flavor... Am I on the right track?

Sounds like a pretty tasty and typical brown ale but when are you adding the 2oz cascade? If all at 60 I wouldn't recommend that. Split it into like 1oz at 60min and 1 oz at 5min and you should be good.

Seeing as I use 12oz of chocolate malt (among other things) in my stout recipe, I'd be careful about using a whole pound. When it comes to dark roasted malts, a little bit can go a long way. What lovibond caramel malt are you going to use?

Chocolate malt doesn't give that much of the flavor that you'd normally think of as chocolate. To me, it's more roasty with some dark coffee flavors. If you are looking for an actual chocolate character to your beer, you may want to consider adding a mix of cocoa powder/lactose (2oz lactose for every 1oz cocoa) at 10 min. Maybe 4oz cocoa + 8oz lactose. It stirs in better if you mix it together dry then add some warm water to make a slurry.

I'm not sure how well cascade is going to play with a chocolate ale. I've never heard from anyone who has tried that combo. What's your hop schedule?

Why the honey?

Oh, you'll need to be ready to let this mature at room temp for maybe three months.

Why the honey? It will boost your ABV but that's it. If you really want "honey" then try Honey Malt. Maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 lb but no more. It's potent stuff.

As far as the hops... I'd split the bill into two additions also. I like the 60/5 or even 60/2. Both 1 oz each.

Another question. Why an amber? Maybe a porter or stout for chocolate additions. Go with the powder in the boil idea.

I'm a fan of honey malt as well, especially in an ESB along with some crystal 45L and special roast. In a darker, roastier beer, however, I can see the subtle honey flavor of it getting covered up.

I feel like you are mixing a lot of flavours in the same beer. I am not sure about the hop choice.

Back