Chilling equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmarshall

Reaction score
So I did not get the dudadiesel plate chiller I asked for, but I got the funds to get it myself and now I am having second thoughts about the proper equip for my garage brewery. Please help.

I have been brewing for a year without a chiller (ice baths and no-chill), but I have upgraded everything else big pot, big burner, new carboy, ferm chamber etc... And it IS time.

I have been hearing some negatives of clogging, cleaning, and needing a pump for a plate chiller and I don't know if my expertise is there yet, however I don't want to spend a bunch on making an IC and then outgrow it.

I have 100 in visa gift cards and $30 credit at northern brewer. Also I want to brew this week :)

What Would You Do?

I have a big immersion chiller that I like a lot - its so simple to use, to clean, its easy peasy. If you didn't want to make one, you could buy one, maybe even at your lhbs, I would expect to pay up to $70 or so for a nice, large, well-made chiller.

Avoid the cheap ones - they are too small to do the job and the fittings are often crap. Also, you do need to pay attention to what kind of connections you are using. For example, I use a utility sink in my basement brewery and the chiller screws onto the faucet there.

Congratulations on all the upgrades, they sound great!

I have a CFC that I use, this time of year I am able to throttle back the water flow pretty good. In the summer I run the water about 80% with full flow from the kettle. I prefer the CFC as its easier to clean, just flush it with water when done.
I don't have one, but the small channels in the plate chillers scare me.

I've gone from DIY immersion, to DIY CFC, to plate. I haven't used the plate yet, but in my experience if your not using a pump, the immersion is the way to go.
Tom

CFC's can be gravity fed. You can just control the flow with a ball valve off of your boil kettle. Even with 60* ground water I felt like it took forever to get to pitching temps and wasted a ton of water with my immersion chiller. I recently bought a Dudadiesel 30-plate and can't wait to save the time and water. I use a hop bag during the boil and shouldn't have issues with it clogging up much.

Latest posts

Back