Chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3w4u

Reaction score
I recently built a 15 gallon electric brew rig and have only used it twice so far. The problem I am running in to is that when I use my immersion chiller I have to hold it up above the heating element so that it isn’t sitting on top of it. I am just afraid of it screwing up the heating element. I was thinking of going to a counter flow chiller but was wondering 1. Is my concern unwarranted and can I just let the immersion chiller sink? 2. If I go the counter flow chiller route do I have to get a pump?

I guess I could solder some copper legs on it but IDK if I want to do that. I thought of adding a false bottom over the heating element but both of those options seem excessive and unnecessary. There has to be a better way right?

I guess I could solder some copper legs on it but IDK if I want to do that. I thought of adding a false bottom over the heating element but both of those options seem excessive and unnecessary. There has to be a better way right?

I'm thinking more like a trivet that would provide a support for the chiller above the element. I wouldn't want to add anything to the chiller either, it would just complicate things.

Oh yeah that is an option. Just a tripod to support the chiller that I could put in the kettle after the boil and remove when done. I didn’t think about that.

Solder a hook to the vertical leg and hang it from the side of the kettle.

Edit: How are your elements mounted in the kettle? If you went with solderless bulkheads (like I did) I would not want to risk the weight on the elements. If they are more solidly mounted, I don't think the weight of the IC would be a problem.

F8416FE2-E08F-4A49-9895-7D3B61784FC8.jpeg
Solder a hook to the vertical leg and hang it from the side of the kettle.

Edit: How are your elements mounted in the kettle? If you went with solderless bulkheads (like I did) I would not want to risk the weight on the elements. If they are more solidly mounted, I don't think the weight of the IC would be a problem.

I think it’s about 3 inches from the bottom.

Like JayJay said, a buddy of mine has an immersion chiller hung from the side of the kettle. Just use a good quality (beefy) stainless steel hose clamp and crank it down on the uprights of the chiller and then use a smaller stainless s-hook and loop one end through the hose clamp, pinch it closed, and then use the other end as a hook that will hang on the edge of the kettle. It works great.

We have just introduced a new product that may help you. It is called the Hang Over. With a couple of 3/8 x 1/2 N.P.T bulk head fittings you will be able to hang you chiller off the element plus take advantage of the many its accessories. Find HangOver at Exchilerator.com
20171031_130941.jpg

Great idea but holy cow, $75! I like that it has more than one use but the biggest problem I can see is on my 15 gallon kettle doing a 5 gallon batch my chiller would have to be held at a lower point than the rim to be effective. If it’s hooked at the top of the rim it is only halfway in the wort. I think the S hook option works better for me because I can get it down lower in the kettle. I like the sparge arm but I have a sparge arm and I don’t even use it anymore.

Back