Chiller idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
I find myself in the market for a new wort chiller. While thinking about what to make, I stumbled upon the idea of a rib cage design chiller. Taking the idea one step further, it struck me that you could make two circuits from that same design, connected at the input and output by a T fitting. That way you would have twice as much cold water transiting the wort. I can get 50' of 3/8 OD copper for $45, but I think that might be too much material for my 3 gal pot. More likely a 25' chiller would work better.

Comments?

I found this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ho...rsion-chiller-2-parallel-20x3-8-coils-384021/ that I think does the same thing you are talking about. It addresses the problem that the upstream portion of the WC is much cooler than the downstream portion of a single coil WC (the standard DIY WC). Not sure what the delta is, but it doesn't appear to add a ton of work, materials or complexity for halving the heat present in the second coil's water (over a standard WC of the same total coil length).

Thanks for the reply, but not exactly what I had in mind. I actually found a build that was closer to my thoughts. You build a standard ribcage chiller, but you spice a T fitting in at the base to create two simultaneous cooling circuits.

Here's a two coil parallel chiller I built a while back. 50 ft of 3/8" with 5/8" down tubes I believe they were. I regularly chill a 5 gal batch to 65 in about 7 to 7.5 minutes while whirlpooling with my gear motor stirrer. Hope this helps.

IMG_20130227_222448.jpg

IMG_20130227_222508.jpg

IMG_20130227_222532.jpg

IMG_20130227_222646.jpg

Latest posts

Back