Chill haze- Bottled clear, pours hazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
This has started happening ever since I switched from extract to all grain. I've bottled cloudy extract beer, and after conditioning in the bottle it cleared out perfectly. Now since I have been doing all grain. I have bottled 3 batches in a row of clear beer, and after chilling its hazy. It seems that when I stick them in the fridge the beers becomes hazy. I understand how to fix this problem, gelatin, longer cold conditioning, protein rest, etc. I am curious what is causing this. My cooling procedure hasn't changed (immersion wort chiller). I also use whirlflock in every batch, and I have started doing the occasional cold crash. The only thing that has changed is the ingredients/procedure. Thoughts on why this is happening. Cheers!

The hot wort has to be chilled down to pitch temp in 20 minutes or less to reduce or eliminate chill haze at fridge time. My first partial mash was still misty going into the bottles. After 3 days,the cleared up real well. In 3 weeks,they get a 1 week fridge time & we'll see if I've kept it eliminated. My extract beers would have little or none. But it does take some 3 days in the fridge for it to settle out clear again,like a fog.

Quick to boil, quick to pitch temp, and a greater than 60 minute boil are things I have read about to help eliminate chill haze. I have done all three with my all grain batches and it seems to work most of the time!

Of course there are other factors like grain type and quality but I am not too familiar with that stuff!

I can't complain about that. What about water chemistry?

You know, this is something that I have changed since converting to all grain. I use St. Paul tap water and treat it with campden tablets. I was told this water will work just fine from the manager at northern brewer.

I was always told that with extract you pretty much do not have to worry about water as basically all the conversions are done. And I do know solubility as well as enzymatic activity of proteins is pH dependent.

I hope it helps, I was probably spitting out stuff you already knew. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back