Chicago Temperature issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybagley

Reaction score
So my DIPA was almost done fermenting when the deep freeze hit. It was fermenting at about 66 in the basement the entire time, but yesterday it dropped down to 56. I'm thinking of transferring to secondary and dry hopping at this point. Do you think I'll experience any issues with this sudden fluctuation in temp?

In order to help we need more info.

What was the OG and intended FG?
Have you hit FG and do you own a hydrometer?
How long has it been?
What yeast strain?

It all really depends on how the beer has progressed. If it is finished or finishing it will likely not matter. If it is too early then transferring and dry hopping shouldn't be done.

OG was 1.062 last gravity reading was 1.016 I was hoping to get down to 1.010. Yeast strain was WLP001

How long has it been? Grain or extract?

1.016 is far too high in my opinion. I would want to get it down to the 010-012 range. Has it warmed back up?

Do you have a heating pad?

You could apply the heating pad for a time and then wrap the carboy/bucket in a blanket. I would also try to get something between the floor and the carboy/bucket to reduce the cold transfer.

JMO

It's been 8 days (all-grain) Its on a bench in the basement wrapped in blankets. Normally it's a perfect environment for fermentation, but this cold snap screwed with everything. My old boiler couldn't even keep up with the cold.

I'll give the heating pad a try.

Back