Chestnuts beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dac Anba

Reaction score
After so long without discussing the subject, has anyone managed to extract the sugar from the chestnuts and prepare a rich beer?
Maybe this can help

Abstract
The enzymatic hydrolysis of starch present in chestnut purée was performed through a one-step treatment with a mixture of a commercial thermostable alpha-amylase (Termamyl 120 L, type S) and glucoamylase (AMG 300 L) at 70 degrees C. The effect of the enzyme concentration and the ratio of both amylases in the reaction mixture was studied by means of a factorial second-order rotatable design, which allowed conditions to be set leading to the total conversion of starch to glucose after 15 min of incubation (60 total enzymatic units g(-1) of chestnut; ratio of alpha-amylase/glucoamylase enzymatic units, 0.35:0.65). At lower enzyme concentration, the delay in the addition of the glucoamylase with regard to the addition of the alpha-amylase allowed a slightly higher hydrolysis percentage to be reached when compared to the simultaneous addition of both amylases at the same low enzyme concentration. The kinetics of liberation of glucose supports the existence of a synergistic effect between these two enzymes only in the first moments of the reaction. Finally, a sequential one-step hydrolysis was assayed, and more concentrated glucose syrups were thus obtained.

Last edited:
My Italian is rudimentary, so I needed to use the Google translator.

Although the idea of the chestnut beer being discussed there is interesting, there are some major issues. With your post and with the linked recipe:
  1. If you really want to have this thread on Chestnut Beer, don't send us to a site in a foreign language.
  2. Rewrite the recipe and directions in plain English, so we can all read it. Here on this site.
  3. Keep our readers in mind, we are homebrewers. So any additional information on the recipe you can provide, why certain things are done, or certain ingredients are used are important to us. Or if you don't know, say so and start a discussion on those.
  4. Sites that need a potential reader to click on <next page>, <next page>, <next page>, and so on to get the whole story are a big no-no. They thrive on advertising and people clicking. This one isn't as bad as some, but still annoying.
  5. In the very first line of the recipe's ingredients list, as it translated, it calls for 500 gram of Hops. This is for 15 liters of beer! Something got lost in translation there or is definitely wrong, given the meager amounts of the rest of the ingredients, such as 300 grams of sugar and 2 handfuls of chestnut flour.
  6. I stopped reading there.
So please, provide a useful recipe and directions to make chestnut beer. Or at least something that can be discussed.

Ground breaker in Oregon makes very good beer these days from chestnuts. A supplier of faked chestnuts used to be available in the US, but I don't think they have been available for years now, so there are not many posts these days regarding chestnuts. If memory served, you steep them for a long time and use pectinase or some sort of enzyme. I did not care for the chestnut batch I made, but somehow Groundbreaker is able to make GF chestnut beer that is as good as any I have had. Look up their site and search older Homebrewtalk posts. There are a lot of them.

Back