Chest Freezer Through Body?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a chest freezer kegerator but don't want to do a collar. Has anyone installed a shank through the side of one and just sat the entire freezer on a wooden platform or something? Thanks!

Unless you have x-ray vision there is a good chance you will drill through something and destroy the freezer. If you really do not want a collar the other option would be a tower setup.

ah i see makes sense. i have seen videos of people putting foam on top of fridges to see where the lines run. i will go with a tower.

The only problem with a tower is when you open the top, all of the lines are dangling in your way. A collar is easy to install and negates the lines problem, plus no drilling through the freezer.

yeah i'm reconsidering a collar now. just worried about it sealing well and how good of a job i can do

If you're buying a small chest freezer, consider buying a refrigerator minus the freezer up top. They sell them that way and you can drill the door for the taps. Works wonderfully but of course it won't hold 50 kegs, mine holds three and would hold 5 if I did a little bit of dremel work on the inside.

Height is also an issue to consider. Without the collar there would be little or no room in my chest keezer for the lines and gas manifolds.

I used some cheap weatherstripping, and get a fine seal. Mine is just cedar 2/4s. I picked through a while to find straight grained ones, and they have not warped. I made mine with mitered and chamfered corners, but that's because another hobby of mine is woodworking. It doesn't work any better that way than if I had cut it with a handsaw and nailed it together, it just wins me bragging rights -- until people look at some of the work done and shown here on HBT!

Latest posts

Back