Chest Freezer Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmarshall

Reaction score
Please help me diagnose a problem with my old chest freezer that I use for a fermentation chamber. The other day I noticed it was not cooling sufficiently. The interior back wall where the coolant passes through is warm except for the top left corner. When I plug in the device there is a sound of the condenser (I guess). Suggestions?

Got to start wearin' my bifocals.Thought the title was 'Chest Geezer Problems'.

If the compressor is running constantly yet all you're seeing is a small corner of frost inside the cabinet (or incrementally worse - no frost at all) the odds are high that the unit has lost most of the refrigerant. If it's an older freezer (and you didn't whack the refrigerant loop!) the compressor seals have likely failed.

I went through the same thing last fall and watched The Old Keezer "moving towards the light" while waiting for its replacement to arrive - before we had a beer crisis. By Thanksgiving The Old Keezer was running 24/7 and barely holding 40°F. Mercifully, the week after Christmas we put The Old Keezer down for good.

Long live The New Keezer! :mug:

Cheers! ;)

Sounds like a problem with the compressor, or low on freon. Either way... not good, probably needs professional help, but that will be expensive. I do sealed system repairs like that, think $300 - 400 minimum.

Back