Chest Freezer Ferm Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopinJim

Reaction score
Ok, so here's my question. I currently have a small ferm chamber that I use a brew belt and ice bottles for heating/cooling with an STC-1000 based temp controller. As I live in an area where the summers get hot, and I am fermenting in my garage (only choice), I occasionally have a problem with the ice bottles lasting thru a workday. I was thinking of getting a chest freezer, but one big enough to do more than one bucket at a time. Here's the real question - how would I do that with just one controller/probe that normally gets taped to the side of the bucket under a sponge for insulation? Or do I just get like a 5 cuft unit and stick to one bucket at a time?

The chest freezer is limited to one temperature at time, so you either do larger batch sizes using multiple vessels, or different batches that ferment at the same temperature. You can place the probe on one vessel, or between two vessels which are touching one another.

So, I guess then that if I did one brew one week, and then another one the following week, then I'd just move the probe to the most recent one? I don't do lagers, so all my fermentation is done at ale temps, usually about 65-66F.

That will work.

As someone who brews lagers and ales, I would like to expand to a second temperature controlled ferm chamber. For now, I just do my best to plan my brewing around my beer's fermentation schedule.

So, I guess then that if I did one brew one week, and then another one the following week, then I'd just move the probe to the most recent one? I don't do lagers, so all my fermentation is done at ale temps, usually about 65-66F.

That's exactly what I do and thus far it seems to work.

Latest posts

Back