Cherry Concentrate to Puree in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draygon

Reaction score
Im brewing a Cherry Stout next weekend and the kit came with a Cherry Extract. The directions say to add the extract to the bottling bucket and then bottle.

My question is this, if I dont want to use the extract and want to use Cherry Puree how would I best go about that?

I was thinking of adding it to the secondary and letting it sit on that for a while (2weeks maybe?) before bottling, which would, I hope, get the flavor of the cherries but then when I rack to the bottling bucket not get all the puree sediment. If I add it to the bottling bucket and bottle I will get lots of puree sediment and I am trying to eliminate that.

The other piece to this puzzle is how much puree to use, since there is no calculator of concentrate to puree, its kind hard to guess how much to add.

Thoughts?

I did this with the Midwest kit, I used 6 pounds of cherry puree (2 cans) in secondary. With the added sugar you will get a second fermentation so it will take 2-3 weeks in secodary at least...mine is in secodary now, fermentation is over, just letting it clear now.

I based my puree amount on Jamil's Black Forest Stout recipe using 1 pound of cocoa powder and 6 pounds of puree.

Latest posts

Back