Cherry/Apple cider FG 1.03? Do cherries have non-fermentables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I made my first apple/cherry cider which finished at about 1.03 and tastes slightly sweet compared to my previous dry ciders, and I’m wondering if that’s normal or stuck – eg. does cherry juice have non-fermentables in it? I left it in a glass primary for a couple of months and most of the cherries dropped and left the cider very clear. I bottled it anyway with carbonation drops, but look forward to advice. I might have to keep an eye on those bottles!

Cheers,
B

Recipe:
4 litres fresh apple juice
1 kg frozen cherries, defrosted and mashed up a bit
Lalvin EC1118 yeast

I'd bet it got stuck somehow, and those bottles are just bombs waiting to happen... but that's just me.

HMy experience, limited, is that the cherry was quite acidic. Slows things down, but who knows about actually stopping fermentation. I'd put them into tubbies in case they get unhappy, but certainly chill them, and open one up and check how they're doing. ;-)

I agree with cherries being acidic when I last tried them. It stopped the yeast from working but the acetic acid found its way in and turned it into vinegar. I suggest you put them into a covered container and wait and see. It takes months for the the cherry "pucker" to settle down and turn into a nice cider.

Did it really finish at 1.030, or was it 1.003? 1.030 would be scary high for a cider, 1.003 what I would call demi-sec or off-dry.

I've had some bad experiences with cherries continuing to ferment in a porter, and over-carbing. I suspect I had bits of cherry pulp, not just juice, though.

Whoops! 1.003 :)

My other ciders based on similar recipes (but no cherries, or with raspberries) tended to finish at 1.000 or below. But maybe 1.003 isn't surprising.

I have bottled cyser at 1.004, thinking it was done, with added priming sugar. Those bottles are in a tubby in cool storage and I handle them with care. When chilled, they still foam over when opened, so it's apparently cyser champagne...that was S04.

Back