Cheers from Malawi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magee_b

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All. New brewer to the forum. I’m originally from the east coast of Canada, but have spent a large portion of the last 6 years working abroad. Currently living & working in Malawi (southern Africa) where we have a pretty solid community of 4 or 5 home brewers (mostly American/Canadian/South African).

I’ve managed to smuggle over some hop rhizomes, and since we have a big yard I have been trying to get them to thrive in less than ideal conditions – Way too low of a latitude (13 degrees south of the equator) to get the proper daylight hours. But with the trickery of some security lighting on the property, they took over the side of my house and I’m about to pick my second harvest of Malawi-grown cascade hops this year! (The first successful hop crop in the country that I’m aware of)

Anyway, I’ve been doing 5+ gal all-grain batches. (Cooler Mashtun, Induction burner, 10gal kettle/HLT) . It’s been a fun learning process, and the rewards for nailing a batch are delicious. Looking forward to connecting and learning.

Happy Brewing!

Sounds like you now have a local hop supply, but where to you get malted grains?

And, welcome to HomeBrewTalk.

Brew on :mug:

Back