Cheers from Albany, NY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y498yates

Reaction score
Hello beer fans! I live in beautiful Upstate NY which means I get to enjoy a plethora of locally brewed swill from places like Ommegang, Saratoga Brewing Company, Matt's Brewing [Saranac], Cooperstown Brewing, etc. As a spoiled beer drinker, I decided it was high time I learned a thing or two about making my own beer in case I ever get stuck on an island somewhere [hopefully Hawaii!].

I have just gotten started in brewing and have been looking for a community like this to bounce ideas off of. I knew I was in over my head when both of my first attempts at a Mr. Beer batch failed [bad yeast]. That was supposed to be fool proof!

I am a big fan of big beers like:
1 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout 2001/2003-Present (18%)
2 Rochefort Trappistes 10
3 Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
4 Ommegang Three Philosophers
5 Chimay Bleue

I'll be drinking Hacker-Pschorr this Oktoberfest [since my last batch came out very so-so] but need to figure out what my next brew should be.

See you on the boards!

Welcome! I'm originally from the suburbs of Albany. I think you will be surprised how fast your beer will improve the more you read this forum!

PS did you get the word plethora from listening to Suzy on Yankees games on the radio?

OMG - I almost can't listen to Sterling and Waldman. I have to be in a pretty bad situation in order to resort to listening to Yankee games on the radio!

I'd like to tell you that I'm an avid reader with a vast vocabulary and that I chose "plethora" based on an in-depth examination of my verbal index. Unfortunately, that wouldn't be true. I suppose I can admit, in the company of my beer drinking buddies, that the truth is that I got it from Three Amigos!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey welcome, that is quite a varied list of beers. I hope to try some Saratoga Brewing in the very near future. :mug:

It isn't bad, but it isn't the best upstate NY has to offer either. I'm a very big fan of the stuff Ommegang puts out. They are consistently above average [at worst] to very good. Their Three Philosophers is actually one of my favorite beers [sort of a 1/2 belgian ale 1/2 cherry lambic crossbreed] and goes PERFECT with a medium rare steak! ;)

Latest posts

Back