Cheap n' rusty CO2 cylinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeamusMac

Reaction score
I got a 20lb. CO2 cylinder and a regulator for $100 CDN, which is a pretty decent deal here! Although I took a risk when I bought this tank. It's due for hydro and I just dropped it off at the fire extinguisher place this evening. It has a fair amount of surface rust around the valve and on the bottom of the tank, although the technician couldn't give me a good idea of whether or not it would pass...

I didn't take any pictures but I will when I get it back, regardless of whether or not it has passed. There aren't any threads on HBT regarding rust on CO2 cylinders as far as I can see. This thread will hopefully act as a good guide for how much is too much when it comes to rust on CO2 cylinders.

As a rule, those tanks are as tough as a dollar steak. They have the mfg. date stamped on them and there are people on here that have tanks from the '40's. When you get it back, if it wasn't filled, or the next time it's empty, I would just buff it off with a buffing wheel on a grinder or dust it with my sandblaster. If it passes hydro, you're not going to hurt it with a buffing wheel. Then, rattle can it with a good clean metal primer and top coat it. let us know how it works out. Luck - Dwain

I got a 20lb. CO2 cylinder and a regulator for $100 CDN, which is a pretty decent deal here! Although I took a risk when I bought this tank. It's due for hydro and I just dropped it off at the fire extinguisher place this evening. It has a fair amount of surface rust around the valve and on the bottom of the tank, although the technician couldn't give me a good idea of whether or not it would pass...

I didn't take any pictures but I will when I get it back, regardless of whether or not it has passed. There aren't any threads on HBT regarding rust on CO2 cylinders as far as I can see. This thread will hopefully act as a good guide for how much is too much when it comes to rust on CO2 cylinders.

Hey SeamusMac, if the cost is too much or you have problems getting it hydro'ed, give me a PM. I just got a 20lb exchanged and filled for a very reasonable $, no questions asked.

keithsipa,
I'm not sure what you mean so if I misunderstand, sorry. Skipping a hydro is not a good idea. If you use water to check for leaks, since it doesn't compress, you will normally have a little water spray if you have a leak. If you do it with a compressable material, you get a bomb. Luck - Dwain

keithsipa,
I'm not sure what you mean so if I misunderstand, sorry. Skipping a hydro is not a good idea. If you use water to check for leaks, since it doesn't compress, you will normally have a little water spray if you have a leak. If you do it with a compressable material, you get a bomb. Luck - Dwain

What I was refering to is, I have an in that does a lot of business at one of the local gas supply shops and will swap a tank with a filled and hydro'ed tank, independant of the condition of the tank (such as if it has coke on the side or is out of date). Just trying to help a local brewer out.

Seamus, how much are they charging for hydro testing down that way? up here they charge $30+tax for testing....can't remember the price for a fill, but it was more. Any idea what prices are to get a 20lb filled there too? i'm curious in the price differences.

keithsipa, wanna PM me a price for an exchange? I got a few old tanks that are out of date....might be worth my while to take them down with me the next time i'm in the area. :)

keithsipa, wanna PM me a price for an exchange? I got a few old tanks that are out of date....might be worth my while to take them down with me the next time i'm in the area. :)

Prices vary greatly in Halifax. Most were over $100 for a hydro and fill.
PM sent.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm going to come out on top regardless of the outcome thanks to keithsipa :D

I took my tank to Brenton's in Lakeside, it's a fire extinguisher place. For a hydro and a 20lb. fill it is $50 + taxes, pretty cheap! I'm supposed to hear back from them today... Once I do I'll post the results. Fingers crossed.

The place I traded in to doesn't check the hydro dates on the tank you are trading in. I also have an aluminum tank now, I traded in at another place and got an aluminum tank for my steel one, so I make sure to ask for an aluminum one when I trade in at the new place.

I took my tank to Brenton's in Lakeside, it's a fire extinguisher place. For a hydro and a 20lb. fill it is $50 + taxes, pretty cheap! I'm supposed to hear back from them today... Once I do I'll post the results. Fingers crossed.

That's a good price as well. Cheapest up here is $30 for a testing, and cheapest fill i can find is at another place in moncton at around $40..:(

That's a good price as well. Cheapest up here is $30 for a testing, and cheapest fill i can find is at another place in moncton at around $40..:(

$40 isn't too bad for a 20 lb. fill when you consider that the Noble Grape charges $30 for a 10 lb. fill!

I called Brenton's this afternoon and my tank hasn't made it to hydro today. The guy on the phone told me it'd be done by tomorrow afternoon.

I have a tank that probably hasn't been filled in years, how do you know if it needs hydro testing? I think mine has a sticker that says '2000' on it.

Wow, you guys are getting ripped! I take mine to Airgas (in Raleigh, NC). They charge $16 for a 20 pound exchange, and they don't care about the hydro date either.

Wow, you guys are getting ripped! I take mine to Airgas (in Raleigh, NC). They charge $16 for a 20 pound exchange, and they don't care about the hydro date either.

Typical Canadian price gouging!
Cheapest I found is Prax Air in New Glasgow at $28, and they exchange tanks on the spot, regardless of hydro.

Typical Canadian price gouging!
Cheapest I found is Prax Air in New Glasgow at $28, and they exchange tanks on the spot, regardless of hydro.

!!! I'm going to St. FX on Friday, do you know when they close on Fridays or if they're open on Saturday? I'd be willing to go a little bit out of my way to exchange it if it doesn't pass hydro here in Halifax.

!!! I'm going to St. FX on Friday, do you know when they close on Fridays or if they're open on Saturday? I'd be willing to go a little bit out of my way to exchange it if it doesn't pass hydro here in Halifax.

Praxair Distribution, division of Praxair Canada, Inc.
75 Park Street
New Glasgow, NS B2H 5E7
Tel.: 902-752-7822
Fax: 902-755-2141

Store Hours:
Mon - Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sat: Closed
Sun: Closed

i bought a pair of 20lb steel tanks off craigslist a few months ago for $60 each, both hadn't been hydro tested since the mid-nineties.. took them to airgas, they swapped both for aluminum ones and $17 each for the gas :)

years ago when i started out, i bought a kegerator kit that included a new 5lb steel tank, made in korea and painted green with no stampings on it.... airgas swapped it for a silver-painted steel tank and charged me $6 for the gas. i can't say enough nice things about the company (they also sell good welding gear :) )

They passed and filled my cylinder, YAR! She may not be pretty but she'll do the job. I haven't gone to pick it up yet as it's a 40 minute bike ride and I'm willing to wait for my buddy to pick it up in his Jeep... can you blame me? Once I've got it I'll still take some pictures so you guys can see why I was so worried in the first place.

I'm able to get a hydro done for $10 here, The hydro price doesn't change with the size of the tank just the fill cost. I paid $20 for hydro and fill for the 5# and $25 for the 10# so much for Canadian price gouging.

The place I traded in to doesn't check the hydro dates on the tank you are trading in. I also have an aluminum tank now, I traded in at another place and got an aluminum tank for my steel one, so I make sure to ask for an aluminum one when I trade in at the new place.
where do you trade in at? my place does refills

where do you trade in at? my place does refills

I traded in at Praxair in mundeline as well as the one in elk grove village. They raised prices a bit last time I was there though. I have two 20# tanks and a 5# tank so I won't be back there for a while. They tack on a $5 charge per transaction so it is cheaper to fill more tanks at the same time. Once both 20# tanks are empty I'll just trade them in while I run on the 5# tank for a few days.

Back