Cheap Digital Scales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumbly

Reaction score
Just a heads up to you guys.

I work at Walgreens, and while putting away Bulk Christmas this week, i saw we got in some cheap $10 Emerson Digital Kitchen Scales. I picked one up tested it with a 4oz package of hops and it read a little over 4oz (because of the bag) if your in the market for a cheap digital scale check your local store, the few stores i have visited haven't all had them, and the store i saw them at only had about 6.

Unless it can measure down to 0.1 gram, you don't really want it. 1 oz resolution is worthless in the typical homebrewing range. Our batches are so small that you really need to measure to a gram or less. 1 oz = 28.37 grams. A tenth of an ounce resolution isn't great, but its a lot better than 1 oz resolution.

Unless it can measure down to 0.1 gram, you don't really want it. 1 oz resolution is worthless in the typical homebrewing range. Our batches are so small that you really need to measure to a gram or less. 1 oz = 28.37 grams. A tenth of an ounce resolution isn't great, but its a lot better than 1 oz resolution.

What?? For $10 and to weigh out your hops in oz's doesnt sound like a bad deal to me.

I think I have the same one. I bought it recently for $10. It's pretty accurate, measures in grams and ounces(1/8 oz increments)and I even use it for grain, it's good up to 11 pounds. I have a very accurate scale but I end up using this cheap one for almost everything because I'm afraid I'll end up breaking the good one. :mug:

i haven't realy tested it out fully, but it does weigh in lbs oz and grams. lowest i can register is 2-3 grams. but how many hop pellets are in 1 gram?

WoW. I am a reloader and my scales measure out to 70,000 of a pound accurately( 1/10 of a grain with 7k grains in a pound). I find that 1 0r 2 grams to be ridicules.

I agree. 1 oz resolution might work great for measuring grain, but not hops.

PS: If the resolution is only 1 oz, then the actual weight could be up to 1/2 oz plus or minus from the indicated weight. That is a BIG margin.

I'm sure .1oz is fine but for my own brewing, I like the .1 gram accuracy. I just started carrying such scales with about a 1 pound capacity which is more than enough range with more than enough accuracy. One thing you may not consider immediately but more accuracy allows you to progress into brewing salts or building water because those items are added in grams and nowhere near ounces.

Back