Chasing© THICK & Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
OG: 1.078 | FG: 1.027 | 6.7% ABV | 35 IBU | SRM 50 | MASH TEMP.: 155F

75% Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner OR 80%
6.3% Thomas Fawcett English Crystal 120L OR 6.7%
6.3% Thomas Fawcett Roasted Rye OR 6.7%
6.3% Thomas Fawcett Roasted Barley OR 3.3%
6.3% BestMalz Black Malt OR 3.3%

1.65 lbs Lactose
7 oz roasted cocoa beans soaked in JD
1.75 oz Oak chips high vanilla
1.75 oz Oak chips high mocha

Now I don't want a wimpy Stout. I want the head to be dark. I want it thick.

Regarding the grain bill: I recently brewed a hoppy Black Lager that only had Pilsner, Roasted Rye and Black Malt, from which both roasted malts were 7.5% each. 50 IBUs, 5.4% ABV, hopped with Topaz, Waimea and Rakau and Lager yeast. Came out very good. Good amount of roast, black coffee and some dark, bitter chocolate with a good punch of hops. There was bitterness from both the hops and the malts, but not overwhelming. Came out like a Black IPA/Extremely hoppy Robust porter.

So I'm thinking that the amount of roast would be adequate. I could dial down the Roasted Barley and Black Malt to 3% each, but I think they will not be overly noticeable.

What say you?

Last edited:
Final recipe ( brewing tomorrow ):

65% Bohemian Pilsner
5.5% each of Crystal 120L, Roasted Rye, Roasted Barley and Black Malt
8% Lactose
5% Brown Sugar

Brewed this on March 12. I added 7 oz Lightly roasted cocoa beans ( cracked and soaked in whiskey for 14 days ) and 3.5 oz oak chips ( also soaked in whiskey for 7 days ) on March 18.

The final recipe was 13.25 lbs Bo Pils + 1.1 lbs each Crystal 120L, Roasted Rye, Roasted Barley and Black Malt + 1.9 lbs Lactose | I skipped the sugar addition, as I felt it would thin the beer out. Mashed 75 minutes at 68C/155F. Boiled for 90 minutes. OG was 1.076 and FG was 1.030 on March 18, when I drawed a sample. Very chocolatey, lightly roasty, hints of plums, dark fruit, smooth, lactose and full, very good. Can't wait to try it out when ready.

Back