Charcoal beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlk47

Reaction score
My good friend and I are avid charcoal grillers and would like to incorporate some charcoal flavor or taste into some form of beer. Any thoughts on what base style might lend itself to some good ole charcoal flavor?

I'm thinking we would be using natural lump charcoal, not brick charcoal..

Thinking this would be a fun experiment :rockin:

Black patent malt, Midnight wheat malt, and roasted barley would also give you some of that flavor. Might work well in combination with the smoked malt.

Adding charcoal might be interesting, but it might also do what we use it for in lab and in treating poisoning - purify the liquid by adsorbing certain kinds of organic molecules. This would be a negative outcome for your beer. But if you choose to run the experiment, be sure to tell us what happens.

make a porter with black patent, smoked malt and a little peated malt will give that harsh smoke flavor

I love BBQ, just got a smoker, and am anxious to do a rauchbier to match that wonderful BBQ smoked flavor.

Grilling doesn't really have a charcoal flavor, but more maillard and smoked flavors. Maybe a smoked porter or stout.

Black patent and some smoked malt are the way to go. In my experience cherrywood=bacon, beech=ham, and peat=campfire, ymmv.

Back