Channeling when dumping yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdaytoday

Reaction score
How difficult is it to prevent channeling of beer through the yeast bed when dumping yeast on a stainless steel conical (10-15 gal)?

I'd like to cold crash and then dump nearly all the yeast and lose nearly no beer. Is this a struggle?

ummm...isn't that why conicals are ummm "conical"?

ummm...isn't that why conicals are ummm "conical"?
Lol you'd think, but OP is correct. If you dump too quickly, you can actually punch a hole in the yeast bed at the bottom of the conical and the stuff on the sides sticks.

OP, just dump slowly. It should squeeze out slowly like a tube of toothpaste

should dump before cold crash...if the yeast is finished, 99% will already be at the bottom. dump then crash to settle out the "stragglers" who should all collect at the valve for a second dump.

Also, try dumping until you get liquid and then stop and let it settle. Over time, the yeast/trub on the sides will settle to the bottom. You can then dump again until you get liquid. This may require a few dumps. As long as you can get the yeast/trub at the bottom of the conical below the level of your dip tube, you are good and can transfer clear beer to your keg.

Lol you'd think, but OP is correct. If you dump too quickly, you can actually punch a hole in the yeast bed at the bottom of the conical and the stuff on the sides sticks.

OP, just dump slowly. It should squeeze out slowly like a tube of toothpaste
Recently I've been pressure transferring to a serving keg before harvesting yeast. Usually my batch size is slightly above 6 gallons, so I can leave the racking cane arm nearly vertical after cold crashing and still get a full 5 gallon keg of clear beer. I was losing at least a gallon by blowing through the yeast cake anyway, so this method gets me the same volume of finished beer. Difference is, it's clearer with negligible yeast/trub ending up in the serving keg.

After the keg is transferred, I swirl the remainder in the conical to loosen and resuspend everything that's left behind. Then I dump and crash the trub/yeast/beer and recover the yeast harvest. Works quite well.

I'll add that I'm not worried much about off-flavors or autolysis. I do a small trub dump an hour or so after transferring from the BV to the fermenter. I chill the wort to slightly below target fermentation temperature which settles out a lot of the gunk from the boil. Then I pitch yeast and oxygenate, followed by a single stage primary fermentation to final gravity completion, normally 7-10 days for ales and 10-14 days for lagers. Then spund, crash, transfer and serve very clear beer in a shorter amount of time.

Dumping / harvesting yeast is one thing ive not been able to do . Ive tried longer hoses , a little pressure , a lot of pressure, dumping at 70f , dumping at 40f and nothing works for me . Beer always blows through.

I use a Cf5 and can't get it . I may try leaving about 1/2 gallon of beer , swirl then crash .

Latest posts

Back