Change in fermentation temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boreden

Reaction score
This is my first brew after a long hiatus and brewing in my new home for the first time. I brewed a Scotch Ale Saturday morning and pitched around 1PM using Wyeast 1098 at around 72 F. Fermentation began around 9 PM that night. Sunday Morning the fermentation was normal but I noticed my temperature was starting to creep up to about 74 even though the room is only 70-71 ambient. By 4PM Sunday I notice the temp of 76-77 so I decided to bring my carboy to the basement where the ambient is 62, In the future I will probably start down here. My carboy is now reading 68. My question will the temp shift of 8 degrees damage my beer? I was not sure which was worse to it go ferment out at 77 or move it and drop the temps.

The "shift" down probably isn't going to hurt anything in this case. But high temps early on in the fermentation are likely to cause elevated esters and possibly fusel alcohols. You'll still make beer, but fermentation temperature control can help you make better beer.

Yeh that’s what I was trying to avoid by dropping the temp. I know it’s usually locked by 72 hours so hoping I caught it early enough.

Good luck replicating it if you like it. :p

But seriously, if it is on the harsh side after it finishes, rack it to a secondary for 2-3 weeks and see if the yeast cleans it up at all. If it tastes like banana or clove, well, I hope you like banana or clove.

Back