Champagne yeast in a 16%+ IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I have a triple IPA I brewed that is clocking in around 11% ABV. What I was thinking of doing is this: I could pull off a small amount and age it separately. In this patch I could pitch champange yeast and continually add corn sugar until I hit the abv I'm looking for.

The original yeast I used was US-05. Its gotta be close to hitting the ****ter and, although I know champange yeast cannot eat many of the complex sugars found in beer, I'm not asking it to do that. All it has to do is eat some simple sugar in a high alcohol environment.

Thoughts?

You could do it there is no reason you can't. The question is do you want a dry beer with champagne flavors in it. Also I would check to see if the champagne yeast is a killer yeast and if that will affect the end flavor.

EDIT
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=305556

Maybe the flavor impact won't be so great I don't know. Just go ahead and try I say as long as you tell me how it went :D.

Back