Challenge. You decide what I brew.(Please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have a bunch of stuff laying around that I want to brew with. The challenge is to put these together in some sort of way to make a good recipe. I'll be brewing in 36 hours. Please give me your suggestions. This will be a 10 gallon batch. I'd like to stick with the ingredients I have in stock, but can go buy something extra if need be. Below is the list of what I have... Please post recipes

Grains

10 lb Vienna
11 lb Pilsner
4.5 lb Pale
4 lb Roasted Barley
4 lb Chocolate malt
2 lb Smoked Malt
2 lb Crystal 55
1 lb Crystal 120
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Flaked Rye
8 oz Carafa III
8 oz Special Roast
8 oz Aromatic
1.5 oz Midnight Wheat
.5 oz Black Prinz

Hops(pellets unless specified)

1 lb Columbus
1 lb Simcoe
1 lb Amarillo
14 oz Calypso
14 oz Willamette
13 oz Cascade
9 oz Nugget
6 oz Simcoe (leaf)
2 oz Citra(leaf)

Yeast

S-05
WLP-004
Nottingham
S-04

Wow- you could do so much! Anything from a Vienna style lager-ish beer to a stout.

What do you have already made, to give you something different?

I only have the Orange Coriander Pale Ale and a Rye IPA left. I think something dark would be good.

Oh, and I would prefer an ale. I can do a lager, but my supply is running low, so it would probably run out before the lager is done.

I'd make a stout or American brown if you're in the mood for hoppy.

Let's see.

Dry stout, with 14 pounds base malt (MO is great) and 2 pounds of roasted barley. Bitter with willamette, to 40 IBUs. The S04 would be great.

For an oatmeal stout, use some dark crystal malts, like your 120L and 60L (.5 of each) and 2 pounds of Quaker oat's in the mash. I'd reduce the roasted malt to 1 pound, and add 1 pound chocolate malt. I'd use S04 here, too.

I'd make a stout or American brown if you're in the mood for hoppy.

Let's see.

Dry stout, with 14 pounds base malt (MO is great) and 2 pounds of roasted barley. Bitter with willamette, to 40 IBUs. The S04 would be great.

For an oatmeal stout, use some dark crystal malts, like your 120L and 60L (.5 of each) and 2 pounds of Quaker oat's in the mash. I'd reduce the roasted malt to 1 pound, and add 1 pound chocolate malt. I'd use S04 here, too.

I like the idea of a hoppy brown.
Keep the ideas coming

I like the idea of a hoppy brown.
Keep the ideas coming

There is a nice hoppy brown I've seen around here on the forum- like a Moose Drool clone, I think called something like caribou slobber. I've never made it, but that would be really nice. There is an American brown in Brewing Classic Styles that looks good, also!:

6 gallon batch
OG 1.048 IBU: 34
10 pounds two-row
.5 pound crystal 40L
.5 pound chocolate malt
.25 pound crystal 60L
.25 victory malt

.45 oz horizon (13%) 60 minutes (24 IBUs)
1 oz amarillo 15 minutes
1.75 oz amarillo 0 minutes

You could use something else for bittering that you have on hand, and you could just home toast some malt to avoid buying victory malt. Or use some of the aromatic malt in there. Use the crystal 55L instead of the 40L. I think that would be really good!

Back