Cereal mash - does 2row count to grain total?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
I'm doing a cream ale tomorrow and it will have 2lbs of corn meal instead of flaked maize which is impossible to find here. This will require a cereal mash, at maybe 1:1 with crushed 2-row.

Does the 2-row I use (say 2lbs) in the cereal mash count towards my total grain bill, like will I get typical conversion benefits from that amount?

If my total grain bill was, say, 11lbs and 2 of that was the corn meal, and another 2 was the 2-row I used in the cereal mash, would that mean I'd be adding that 4lbs of cereal mash to 7lbs of the rest of my grains in the actual mash, totaling 11lbs?

Does the amount of water I use in the cereal mash count towards the mash volume or is it negligible?

Thanks all, I've done a cream ale with puffed organic corn last time and it turned out decent but wanting to try a significantly cheaper ingredient this time. Like $2 for 2lb compared to $7 for 1lb...yuck!

Cereal mash success! Took a long time but wound up at 82% efficiency and the mash was totally easy to work with, woot!

Back