Central Texas brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarsColonist

Reaction score
Half year Lurker that got bitten by the bug.

What started out as watching someone brew a 5gal extract batch in May of this year this year turned into my own little brewery.

It all really started when I fixed a "broken" frig at my house (diagnosed everything only to find out the thermostat was set at 0; roommates already had bought a replacement). Drilled a hole for tap#1 and now I have a 4 tap kegarator and a 20# tank. I have yet to bottle any of my beer..... Between band members :rockin: and roommates, they help me keep 5 gal batches around only about 4-7 days.

I only brewed 4 partial mash recipes before I jumped into all grain. Picked up an all grain setup (sculpture and 4 keggles) from someone getting out of 10 yrs of brewing. Only one 10 gal batch so far, but plenty of 5gal. Got my March pump and my Honeywell Intermittent Pilot controller... going for the HERMs.

My next brew is probably going to be a Saison, and Ill probably do 10 gal so I can use my recently acquired 14.5 conical.

My current DIY project is finishing my 3-carboy lagering refrigerator (destroyed a mini frig to get the inner workings; about 1/2 done with the build)

Looking in to the logistics of indoor hop growing, but indoor vernalization seems to be quite problematic, and the overall setup, quite costly.

Always looking for local brewers getting in on the bulk grain action, but I gots to get a mill first.

Prost! :mug:

-m

Welcome to brewing. You got up to speed fast.

As to grain mills, I have a barley crusher and it is +1.

As to hops growing, it would be less problematic to find someone close with the ground space but not the time and make a deal for labor in exchange for halves.

Welcome to brewing. You got up to speed fast.

As to grain mills, I have a barley crusher and it is +1.

As to hops growing, it would be less problematic to find someone close with the ground space but not the time and make a deal for labor in exchange for halves.

I ordered a BC a couple of days ago. :)

As for the hops, I am under the impression that here in Austin at our lat being 30.25, and hops like the 35-55 lat for growing, we have the problems of not enough cold weather and the seasonal lighting that goes with it. It is my understanding that outdoor yield here will be considerably down as you need a boatload of chill hours to get good flowering, and the intense sun of the summer will cook a young rhizome.

Latest posts

Back