Centennial blonde timeline?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed this extract version Sunday and am wanting to know a brief overview of a timeline for fermenting/bottling? Ive heard its a quick beer, but I want to be sure.

Thanks, :mug:

I imagine it'll be good to go in 2-3 weeks, but get a hydrometer if you don't have one already and it's bottling time when the reading is the same two days apart.

The age-old "when's my beer done" question will always have the same answer, for the most part! :mug:

I just checked this; there is no krausen on the surface but there is "remnants" of what looks like a krausen ring around the inside of the fermenter. Could this stuff have formed AND fallen in 4 days? That seems pretty quick.
It did finally start bubbling after 36 hours, but only for about 12 hours +-?

This is my second batch, so I don't know about times, but should this have happened this quickly? And if so...

...:ban:

It's reasonable it depends on the strain of yeast, etc. Lately with the yeast I've been using a krausen forms for 24-48 hours before it falls back in. Just because there isn't a krausen doesn't mean it's not fermenting. Yeast are still in suspension doing what they do after the krausen falls

Different yeasts work differently. With some the kraeusen seems to stay forever, with others it falls in a few days.

Just because it has dropped, doesn't mean it is done fermenting, and even when it is done fermenting (stable gravity for a few days), it is still advisable to leave it on the yeast. After fermentation is done (converting sugar to alcohol), the yeast are still working and cleaning up some of the undesirable esters they created during the ferment. Leave the beer on the original yeast for at least 2 weeks.

The longer you leave it before bottling, the less sediment you will get in the bottle, which will improve stability of the final product. You should try and leave it at least 3 weeks from initial pitch before bottling. Most of mine probably go 8 weeks before bottling and are crystal clear going into the bottle.

Absolutely, it can form and drop in 4 days! Can't believe you didn't look at it over that time. :)

Check your gravity to know when to bottle.

I like to ferment for 15 days to give the yeast a chance to clean it up. Sometime, I'll go longer if I'm lazy or just don't have the time. If you are bottling, you may consider doing a secondary or a cold crash for a few days. I like to do this with my lighter beers. You'll get less crap in the bottles. Bottle, then drink at week 3. Sample at week 1 and 2 if you'd like. If it tastes good drink it.

If kegging, no need for a secondary. Age two weeks at room temp on gas.

Back