Centennial always brown out before their time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in CT, and my centennial hops always turn brown and are ruined before its time to harvest. It's only the first week in August and they are already starting to turn. My cascade usually are fine till the end of August or so and good for harvest but not the centennial, both are a on year 4. Here's a pic, any ideas? Could they be ready to harvest now? They are still feeling a bit leafy.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470500280.876284.jpg

fwiw, for all five years of harvesting, my Centennial is always the earliest, often by a good month.
Otoh, the Chinook and Cascade always slow-race to the finish, invariably ready on back-to-back weekends...

Cheers!

I only grow Centennials, and they have been harvested and dried for almost 2 weeks already. I just think they are an early variety. By this time last year I lost roughly a quarter of my yield because they were overripe. Didn't make that mistake this year.

Ok, thanks for the input guys. I'll keep a close eye on them, probably be harvesting sometime this week. I don't want to lose them another year.

Just checked mine today - They were ready, so I picked them.

Picked my centennial a yesterday and I am
In Connecticut. They are way ahead of all my others my cascade haven't even thrown a single burr yet.

I picked mine last week, and it was perfect timing. They smelled awesome after they dried and I was vacusealing them. Thanks again.

I only grow Centennials, and they have been harvested and dried for almost 2 weeks already. I just think they are an early variety. By this time last year I lost roughly a quarter of my yield because they were overripe. Didn't make that mistake this year.

Just checked mine last night. They looked like they were just starting to brown on the very tips of the flowers, so I broke one opened.

Still very light yellow and not very fragrant. They are 1st year plants, so I'm hoping they are just late.

I have had Chinook seem to ripen earlier than my cascades, so I am careful to check often by about this time each year.

Back