Cellar Science Dry German and Dry Berlin lager yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed moorbeer is selling these two yeasts I've never seen before. They are advertised as direct pitchable, so in that sense they are competitive with Fermentis yeasts, as well as being a little cheaper. Not that cost matters as much to me, now I run multiple batches per pitch.

I'm pretty happy with my lagers made with S-189 and 34/70, just wonder if anyone has tried these new ones and which other yeasts they are comparable to.

I currently have a cascadian dark ale fermenting with their chico strain. I wouldn't mind hearing about other brewer's experiences with the lager strains.

I currently have a cascadian dark ale fermenting with their chico strain. I wouldn't mind hearing about other brewer's experiences with the lager strains.
I've used the German lager yeast. Could not tell the difference from that and W34/70. Now for the Cali yeast...Not a big fan of US-05 and it's probably just repackaged US-05. Used that and didn't like it but again that wasn't on Cellar Science. That's more or less on the strain itself. It's a good deal for the German lager yeast at least :) Go for it!

When 34/70 noticeably jumped in price, diamond lager was out and I realized cellar science German was a 12g pack, I decided to give it a go. I haven’t looked back. It’s my go to lager strain.

Additional note, I ferment “warm” 60f, in a bucket or carboy, no pressure and I think it performs well

I get the impression that "German" is repackaged Fermentis W-34/70, and "Berlin" is S-23.

It went from 1.055 to 1.010 for 82% attenuation. I'm happy with it so far and plan to bottle on Tuesday

I've used two Cellar Science dry yeasts. One was their Cali that I used in a Zombie Dust Clone, and I wasn't a fan of that from flavor standpoint. I don't remember exactly what it was about the flavor, but it just wasn't as smooth as a White Labs 001.

I recently used the Cellar Science Berlin in a lager and I thought that was great. It seems I struggle with a lot of liquid lager yeasts with various flavors that take a while to mellow. The Berlin had no diacetyl or sulphury stuff, it was just nice and clean. I would describe it as it made both the hops and malt "bright". I direct pitched 2 packets into a fermentor with 5.5 gallons of wort. One started fermentation at 55F without spunding pressure, and the other at 62F and 14 psi of spunding pressure. (The cold one was slightly better/cleaner flavor.)

I get the impression that "German" is repackaged Fermentis W-34/70, and "Berlin" is S-23.
I think German might be w-34/70 but unless my nose was lying the fermentation aroma was slightly different than w-34/70. I’ve used them both several times now and alway got a distinct sulfur kind of aroma early in fermentation with the Fermentis but never noticed it with German. Who knows I might be crazy.

threadsurection here:

after doing a couple batches of beer with cellarscience german i realized that it was indistinguishable from the same beers made with 34/70 in the past.

on closer inspection it appears that german is almost definatley repackaged 34/70 at only half the price.

from more beer website:
cellarscience GERMAN: " strain from Weihenstephan Germany that has been used for generations to produce clean, balanced lagers"

from fermentis:
saflager34/70 :" from Weihenstephan in Germany is used world-wide within the brewing industry. SafLager™ W-34/70 allows the brewing of beers with a good balance of floral and fruity aromas and gives clean flavors "

sorry if this is already common knowledge.

btw 34 /70 rocks

My early observations and experience fermenting a cream ale with CS German yeast. First off, this is my first time fermenting with any lager yeast, so this is somewhat of a test for me. I used two 12g packets, rehydrated.

Cream Ale
OG 1.049 hydro (BS3 estimated 1.049)
FG 1.007 hydro (BS3 estimated 1.010)
Mashed at 150° BIAB
40% 2-Row (Rahr)
40% German Pilsner (Weyerman)
20% Flaked Corn
Magnum 60 mins. 12.7 ibu's
Willamette 15 mins. 2.3 ibu's

Despite seeing a few random bubbles in the blowoff container within 4 hours, actual fermentation was slow to begin but finally took off somewhere around the 36 hour mark. I do not have a dedicated fermentation chamber, but I was able to keep temperatures between 52°F and 54°F using a Cool Brewing insulated fermentation bag, and swapping out frozen water bottles, usually around every 12 hours. Fermentation temperatures and SG was measured in near real time with a RAPT Pill set to report every 15 mins. When SG hit 1.015 (per the Pill), I swapped in two frozen water bottles and left to go out of town for a few days. When I returned five days later my Pill was measuring SG at 1.006 and the beer was still a couple degrees below room temperature, which was 65°F. I gave it a couple more days and kegged it, earlier today, then dropped it in my keezer. The hydo sample tasted quite good, better than I thought it would actually. Total time in the fermenter was 16 days. Not sure yet if I'll use a clarifying agent (gelatin or Biofine), or just let it lager for a while without adding anything.

Since I don't have any experience with 34/70, or any other lager yeast for that matter, I really have nothing to compare this trial to. But I have to say that everything went smooth to this point, and barring any unforeseen glitches from here on out, (unlikely), I wouldn't hesitate to use this yeast again on a future beer.

Latest posts

Back