Cedar Wood in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetuchenBrewerNJ

Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided to try something different. I'm doing a munich dunkel, but with a woodsy twist. I substituted part of the crystal grain with .25 pounds smoked malt, and I'm going to add cedar wood to the secondary (taking a page out of the Dogfish Head book). I'm wondering how much I should put in and for how long. I've heard that with oak chips anything around an ounce for about 3 days is plenty, but I'm not sure if cedar has the same tannin presence that it would be the same.
Anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas?
Thanks! :mug:

I am not experienced with using cedar in brewing, but I am in the forest/lumber business and I can tell you for sure there are several types/varieties of "cedar". (Eastern Red Cedar, Eastern White Cedar, Atlantic White Cedar, Port Orford Cedar, Mountain Cedar, Western Red Cedar and several more.)

I can't imagine any of them being much use in a brew, but what do I know is that there are several genus /species of trees called "cedar". I'd be careful to use the right one.

A great number of people advise to taste the beer when it's on wood to see how it's progressing and so you can decide when to rack/bottle off the wood. Probably excellent advice in this case.

I can't speak to the tannic value of cedar vs oak. I will say that cedar is a very aromatic wood, thus it's use to store valuable clothing items in for centuries. Given it's aromatic properties I'm guessing one needs less time on cedar than an equivalent amount of oak. Personally I'm partial to hickory...

Good luck & Schlante,
Phillip

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing; I'm sure a little cedar goes a long way, and I definitely need to be careful to choose the right kind. I'll definitely have to taste it as it goes to make sure it doesn't pick up too much tannin from the wood; better too little than too much..
But maybe I should consider hickory...that just might work better....

Yea I'm a bit backwards in the hickory/oak arena. I prefer to smoke my food with oak rather than the traditional hickory, and use hickory in my beer over the traditional oak!

There's something to be said also for using a smaller amount of wood and leaving the bier on the wood for a longer period of time vs a larger amount of wood and a short period of time. They impart different qualities to the brew. I'd be tempted to 'cedar' a 1-gallon sample to see what works best before going the full monty with 5 gallons.

My dad does wood working, made a beautiful jewelry box for my daughter for Christmas, spent 60+ hrs on it. He works with red cedar quite a bit, I think I'm gonna get some scraps from him and try this on a gallon soon! Perhaps the brown porter I have brewing right now or something like the blonde I've got coming up next.

Schlante & let us know how it turns out,
Phillip

Cedar is sometimes used in Mamajuana. The rum picks up the aroma of cedar after only a week or so. It's good, although it kind of reminds me of a hope chest.

my brew partner and i are also working on a cedar aged beer. made a couple of batces of "tea" yesterday. not sure how much cedar(no oz scale yet) i used for 12oz of beer. but a little goes a loooooong way. id have to guess that an oz for 5g of beer would be more than enough. id sample as it sits. let me know how it comes out please

Hi again guys!
So an update- my beer is done! Like I said it was a munick dunkel base recipe, but I subbed in .25 lb of smoked malt for the Crystal. I ended up using cedar wood plank (The kind you buy to smoke salmon with) because no hardware store/lumber yard had a little chunk of cedar I could buy (suprising, I know). So I ended up lagering for 5 weeks at around 45-50 degrees. The first 4 weeks was just beer, and then I added in cedar for the final week. I ended up cutting a piece about the 3/4 inces wide, half an inch thick, and 5 inches long (alightly bigger than my index finger). Sorry that's the best description I can give. That sat in the secondary for the final week. Then the night before I bottled I added another piece of the same size. Finally, as I bottle, I mixed in the primer using a piece of cedar about 4 inches wide, 5 inches long, and 1/2 an inch thick just to give it a last cedar blast of flavor. I let it float on top as I bottled, occasionally stiring it in so the cedar flavor didn't sit on top the whole time.
I tasted it for the first time last night. 4 weeks to condition was plenty, it seemed fully carbonated. It did not have the woodsy, smokey flavor I was going for; it actually tasted a lot like Sam Adams Boston Lager -- interesting. It was clear, a little darker than expected (about a 24-25). The taste was very good though, even if not what I was going for. It was complex with the cedar and slight smoke flavor, but still crisp and not overwhelming. And like I said, a lot like Sam Adams.
So that's all I got. For my first experiement with wood-aged beer, not too shabby. I think to get the taste I was going for I'd need to pick a slightly more bitter base recipe and sub in more smoked malt, perhaps with more cedar and for 2-3 weeks to compliment it.

I have picked up some cedar chips (don't ask me which genus) from my LHBS and received a challenge to try in on a pretty good IPA I have. Reading through the forums I can see a little goes a LONG way. I'm going to pull a small sample and test it out with a couple shavings prior to using it on a fully 5 gal batch added to a secondary.

I'm curious if anybody has opinions on the best way to sanitize the cedar prior to using it? Thanks.

could be wrong but i believe cedar is pretty safe to just add safe from bugs and infection. however u can brobably boil in just enugh water to cover and add chips and resulting tea to the batch as well.

I have a juniper aged RIS that I am enjoying. Very much like a cedar beer. I used both a tea and soaked wood. It has a definite cedar character that has mellowed and rounded with aging. I will brew with it again. I think the tea addition is the easiest way to go.

It's nice but it's not as rounded out as I would like yet. It was on gas for only 10 days before I bottled samples for state fair. Now its about 6-7 weeks in so it's rounded a bit but another month and it'll be fantastic I think.

Overall a nice beer but the cedar is the primary flavor over the hops at this point. You can still tell it's an IPA though.

It's nice but it's not as rounded out as I would like yet. It was on gas for only 10 days before I bottled samples for state fair. Now its about 6-7 weeks in so it's rounded a bit but another month and it'll be fantastic I think.

Overall a nice beer but the cedar is the primary flavor over the hops at this point. You can still tell it's an IPA though.

Nice. I look forward to trying it one day. ;) You think it should be dry hopped a bit more? How many people competed in the competition when you won the bronze?

You can dry hop it as much as you like but I tend not to dry hop for too long as I don't like the grassy notes. I tend not to go over 7 days at 68F. You can always add more hop pellets for the same amount of time. I think time is the primary factor in terms of grassiness.

I think there were over 360 entries overall, 22 in Class 22.

It's great to see everyone trying cedar in their different beers. I too have access to copious amounts of cedar shavings, chunks, planks and boards. I'm hoping to make a batch of beer to present back to the owners of the lumber company what Western Red Cedar can do for beer.

The biggest question I have is everyone seems to be doing different amounts or sizes of Cedar to different styles of beer. Has a single person tried multiple styles of beer to see which is preferred?

I'm hoping to start with making a TEA and sampling it. Afterwards I'm probably going to allow it to sit in the secondary for a few weeks but I'm hoping to get both aroma and flavor out of it. Two styles I was thinking was a Scottish Ale or an Irish Red Ale.

Back