CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate and Calibrate or Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I recently purchased a CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate Quick-Read Thermometer. I tested it using the ice bath method below and in boiling water. http://www.grillingwithrich.com/four-easy-steps-to-creating-a-proper-ice-bath

My results were:

-Ambient temperature exactly as my home thermostat.
-Ice water bath read 34 - 33.9
-Boiling water read 210.5

My question is, does my thermometer need to be recalibrated or is it possible that the media it is testing is actually those temperatures?

Is +/- 2 degrees an acceptable margin of error?

Thanks.

I would be more interested in freezing temperature - which will always be 32F. Boiling, however, will be dependent on your elevation. Water boils at 212 F at sea level. It boils at a lower temp when you get higher in elevation. Mark

LiuInIdaho - the freezing method only works with fairly pure water, and only if the technique is followed properly. Too little ice, or too little stirring, and you can develop pockets of warmer water that will give false readings.

zyx345 - Do you need to correct for boiling point at altitude where you live, is your water used for boiling salt free? Also, did you use pure water (and ice made from pure water) in your freezing point testing, as any salts in the water will change the freezing point of the liquid. Assuming you did, then it is up to you whether you want to try and calibrate the thermometer, as there is no trend in the inaccuracy of your readings. Your freezing point is too high, and your boiling point is too low, so likely the readings at ~160F will be close to the correct values. If both values were too low/too high it would be a different story, but I would personally feel comfortable with your readings.

Latest posts

Back