Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some pix of my cats. First pic is my two boys together. Lucky is the part-Siamese. The long-haired Persian looking cat is Nigel. I inherited him from my dad. The next pic is my little girl, Little Bit or "Bitsy" (semi-feral -- she goes the opposite way when I enter the room.) Next is a pic of Lucky all by himself and the last one is Nigel all by himself. Not sure why the photos are uploading in off orientations.

EDIT: I guess the odd orientations are just on the mobile app. :)

View attachment 1448384761157.jpg

View attachment 1448384963986.jpg

View attachment 1448384987682.jpg

View attachment 1448385038056.jpg

I'll "like" any post with a cat photo in it. We had two up until April 20, 2015, when we lost Rogue to kidney failure. Rogue and Trinity were sisters from the same litter. Rogue had long black hair (like Rogue from X-Men), and Trinity has ... well, you can figure it out. Rogue was 14 when she passed. We still have Trinity. She doesn't brew with me (she's an indoor cat), but she's a wonderful cat.

Rogue.jpg

Trinity.jpg

We just got King Scratchtapus Rex back from a blocked bladder. Was that what yours had? They had him on fluids and a catheter for four days. We're giving him meds now. He's peeing on his own and is a chatty cat. He's also on a prescription diet. The vet said no more dry food, ever, and dry food is not good for cats anyway. Especially not male cats.

Hmm... I've been told the opposite. Hard food is better for their teeth. Our cat has been on hard food her entire life (15 years and counting) and seems to be doing fine.

I was told the same by my vet...dry food is better for their teeth. As long as they drink plenty of water, no problemo.

I suppose if a vet happens to sell wet cat food, that's what they're going to recommend. :) Mine's always trying to pimp their high-end pet food, supplements, flea collars, etc. Veterinary medicine is mainly a cash-based business, so I get it that they need to sell some stuff to bolster revenues. Just like my wife's hairstylist is always trying to peddle $25 bottles of shampoo.

These are my children. If I ever had real children, these monsters would kill them and eat them. Both are shelter rescues. We've had the fatass tortie for about 8 years (she's ~11) and the tuxedo cat we've had for about 6 years (she's ~10). The former is evil and the latter is a baby and behaves more like a dog than any cat I've ever met. They've also chosen their people. The tortie is mine (she and my wife do not get along) and the tuxedo adores my wife.

20120721_121044.jpg

@Qhrumphf, Maybe those two should get a room?

They bicker a lot (not serious fights, just tortie is a bully and tries to play roughtly and the other is a baby as indicated and freaks out about it). This was one of those less common moments where they cuddle up together, and the only logical conclusion is that they are plotting the demise of all hoomans.

We just got King Scratchtapus Rex back from a blocked bladder. Was that what yours had? They had him on fluids and a catheter for four days. We're giving him meds now. He's peeing on his own and is a chatty cat. He's also on a prescription diet. The vet said no more dry food, ever, and dry food is not good for cats anyway. Especially not male cats.

Linus got blocked up twice and needed surgery to remove the stones. Lloyd never got blocked up, just had a persistent bladder infection because of the stones. Everyone's on rx food, combo of wet and dry and they got a fancy new water fountain. The strangest part of it all was that they both got them at the same time. They're not related, ones 10 the others 3, and they had two different types of stones.

Jabberwockey is the weirdest cat I have ever had. He was fine in the car for our move from Utah to Washington once he got himself in a place where he could look out the window.

He also enjoys oatmeal and marinara sauce and refuses to eat cat treats.

image.jpg

I've had pets all my life, both dogs & cats! Cats hold a special place though, mainly because you don't own them, they choose to let you into their lives. I have two right now, an Egyptian Mau that my son gave me, and a Savannah who is my owner! He follows me around like a puppy, and loves to brew with me. He takes to a harness & leash, as the breed doesn't have the homing instinct of a domestic cat (His great grandfather was an African serval), so I don't let him out on his own. He's more dog than cat. Pics to follow. They're not spoiled or anything!!

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Anyone here have any real experience with "hypoallergenic" cats. My research shows a few breeds that may be suitable. Mrs Baggins is allergic, but we would like a cat. Preferably one with hair. After doing some reading, I'm curious if anyone here is allergic and has one of the "hypo" breeds. They include:

Siberian
Balinese
Bengal
Burmese
Colorpoint Shorthair
Cornish Rex
Devon Rex
Javanese
Ocicat
Oriental Shorthair
Russian Blue
Siamese
Sphynx

I put hypoallergenic in quotes because my research shows none are truly hypo but that some are far less than others.

Anyone here have any real experience with "hypoallergenic" cats. My research shows a few breeds that may be suitable. Mrs Baggins is allergic, but we would like a cat. Preferably one with hair. After doing some reading, I'm curious if anyone here is allergic and has one of the "hypo" breeds. They include:

Siberian
Balinese
Bengal
Burmese
Colorpoint Shorthair
Cornish Rex
Devon Rex
Javanese
Ocicat
Oriental Shorthair
Russian Blue
Siamese
Sphynx

I put hypoallergenic in quotes because my research shows none are truly hypo but that some are far less than others.

No experience with "hypo" cats although I've heard that as well. However, a friend and my sister in law are both very allergic (not life threatening or anything, but puffy itchy eyes and cannot stop sneezing), and just some simple Benadryl always did the trick. Although I recognize that that may not be a long term solution.

Siberian
Balinese
Bengal
Burmese
Colorpoint Shorthair
Cornish Rex
Devon Rex
Javanese
Ocicat
Oriental Shorthair
Russian Blue
Siamese
Sphynx

My coworker has a Devon Rex. Not quite hairless but very very short fur. He's a pretty normal cat otherwise.

@MaddBaggins
The only real experience I have is owning a Sphynx. My wife's brother and others that come to the house who are highly allergic to cats seem unaffected by our Sphynx Bela. The Devon Rex top the list followed by the Sphynx.

My wife and I have completely fallen in love with the Sphynx breed and plan on getting another. Their personality is more cat/dog/monkey like and can bring cheer to those are suffering as they make great therapy cats.

My suggestion would be to google Devon Rex and Sphynx breeders in your area.
Put a couple in your favorites and check them out from time to time. I did this soon after we got Bela (that's an interesting story of its own), as I knew nothing of the breed and wanted to learn about it. There was one breeder that I could tell from her site that just had a genuine love for the breed and her cats. We have since become very close friends and in fact are heading to what I call "The Naked Cat Ranch" for brunch this morning.

I know one person who has a Sphynx. I'll have to take the Mrs over there sometime to spend time with the cat. I read it's a protein in the saliva that causes most allergies. The first two on the list I posted have less of that protein.
I've checked out breeders on some of those. They can be pricey. I'll keep my eyes out.
Benadryl takes care of it for her but you can't go thru life constantly on that stuff.

Back