Cast Iron Sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
Ok, this may be a bit of an odd question, but I am wondering if anyone has a cast iron sink in their brew house (kitchen). We do and I have always been very careful when placing my brew pot in it so I don't cause any scratches. I normally boil and chill outside but using my wort chiller outside in Minnesota this time of year is out of the question. Also, I just acquired a 10 gal pot which of course will take up a lot more room in the sink. I though about getting some type of protective pieces of plastic to put it the sink, but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and what they have done. Thanks for the info.

Is it clad in porcelain, like a bathtub? Maybe try a towel. I've used one to protect the bathtub from getting those gray marks from washing metal pots in it.

They make those hard plastic/rubber sink mats that fit into the bottom of your sink to protect it.

I use a plastic bath matt in my bathtub when cleaning the pot - the kind you use to prevent slipping in the shower. Works well.

I use a plastic bath matt in my bathtub when cleaning the pot - the kind you use to prevent slipping in the shower. Works well.

I have four of these mats to use in my stainless brewing sink and on the sides. I don't have to worry about scratches, but I never let my glass carboys contact anything that is not cushioned.

We had to leave one of those old,large double basin cast metal utility sinks at the old house we sold. Bloody thing was such a dense metal that 3-4 of us couldn't hardly move it to bring to the new house. It was a smooth casting too. But a mixture of some very dense metals that made weigh so much as to be unmovable. I don't know how in the world those old timers got it in the basement?...:drunk:

We had to leave one of those old,large double basin cast metal utility sinks at the old house we sold. Bloody thing was such a dense metal that 3-4 of us couldn't hardly move it to bring to the new house. It was a smooth casting too. But a mixture of some very dense metals that made weigh so much as to be unmovable. I don't know how in the world those old timers got it in the basement?...:drunk:

lol, some things like that I imagine that they truck it to the vacant lot and then build the house around it.

HA! That's what I imagined when we tried to move that thing. Or the space aliums used a magnetic beam left over from the pyramid constructions?...:confused:

. . . I never let my glass carboys contact anything that is not cushioned.
When I saw the title, this was the first thing I thought of. I'd never consider washing a glass carboy in it without some kind of cushion. Stainless sinks are hard, but unlike cast iron, they do have a little spring to them.

Off topic, but this made me think of something I saw over in the Broken Carboy thread; a broken glass carboy sitting on a granite counter top. Have to wonder how many light taps on a hard surface a carboy will take before it starts to develop stress cracks that eventually lead to failure? I always put a thick towel on the counter top before working with glass.

Back