Cascadian Dark Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I made a partial mash Cascadian dark ale about 6 months ago and it came out awesomely! So good I've decided to make it a staple (ie, a 'house' beer) in my pipeline.

I'm coming up on another batch and as I researched some of the recipes (AG) in the database I found a tasty looking APA recipe that included wheat. I had a brainstorm, thinking I could sub the flaked wheat with Midnight Wheat. I picked up 1.5# of this from my LHBS and believe I could pull it off. The lovibond is 550 and my calculator says it will be 31 SRM. Below is my recipe and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

11#'s of 2-Row
.75# Midnight Wheat
.75# Crystal 40

.5oz summit hops at 60 min
1oz centennial at 15 min
.5oz centennial at 5 min
.5oz centennial at 1 min
1oz centennial at flameout
1oz centennial dry hopped 7 days before bottling

Us-05 to ferment

Mash 152* for 60 min

The hop schedule is identical to the inspirational recipe except it used citra.

midnight wheat is basically a domestic carafa 3, there isnt much taste difference. So, yeah, that will make a lower hopped/gravity CDA. Centennial is pretty much the generic NW hop, no one is going to complain about an all centennial brew. So yeah, theres no reason that wont make a quite drinkable beer to me.

I would keep the flaked wheat as well as the midnight wheat. Midnight wheat is really a de-bittered black malt so it will be great for color adjustment (especially if you add it post-mash) but it will not give you the characteristics you would expect from wheat. The flaked wheat will give you a nice mouthfeel, some body and great head retention

I would keep the flaked wheat as well as the midnight wheat. Midnight wheat is really a de-bittered black malt so it will be great for color adjustment (especially if you add it post-mash) but it will not give you the characteristics you would expect from wheat. The flaked wheat will give you a nice mouthfeel, some body and great head retention

Sounds good. Will flaked oats be too heavy in a beer like this? They also help body, head retention and mouthfeel but may be inappropriate for this style.

I dont think there really is a style for a black american wheat beer so I wouldnt worry about it. I used 2 lbs flaked wheat in my latest black IPA and it turned out great. It helped balance out the crisp thin body from the cane sugar I added

Sometime you should try Perla Negra instead of the Midnight Wheat. That stuff is the bomb!

Id like to know how this beer turns out. Looks tasty. Love me some midnight wheat.

Brewing this in the am! Have already prepped the ingredients and made the starter of wlp090. Tweaked the recipe slightly by subbing a lb of pale malt with Munich malt. I like maltiness.

Latest posts

Back